How to proceed?

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
ABCL

Post by ABCL »

Hello! My name is Jaime and I am the librarian at Bok Tower Gardens in Lake Wales, FL. We were founded by Edward W. Bok, editor of The Ladies Home Journal and Pulitzer Prize winning author of The Americanization of Edward Bok. We’ve received interest in having an audiobook version of Americanization and luckily for us, one of our volunteers is an audio engineer! We’ve started recording the book, and when it’s completed would like post it on Librivox. I see that normally you first ask for people to post suggestions and then others can volunteer to read chapters – but as we’ve already skipped those steps, I’m wondering what is the best way to proceed?

Thank you!
-Jaime
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Disclaimer: I'm not an admin or a mod, just a rank-and-file user. Please don't treat this answer as definitive :)
From what I've seen the book you mentioned was first published in 1920 so it's in the Public Domain. That's the most important obstacle cleared. :thumbs: Just make sure the copy the reader reads from was published before 1923. If you could submit the scan of the title page with the date displayed it would be great.
We do accept "solo projects" so that aspect is not a problem :) (I understand there's one reader?) Also, the reader(s) should ideally create a LibriVox user account(s). Once the book is recorded, it needs to be prooflistened. It can be done by the users already registered, or you could ask someone on your side to register with Librivox and do the proof-listening. Then, both the reader(s) and proof-listener(s) can all be credited in our catalogue.
Ideally, the reader should have first completed the test https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=1-Minute_Test so we can ascertain that the recording setup meets up the requirements. I'd suggest that the reader familiarise himself with this article https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=1-Minute_Test as it specifies the techincal requirements that the files have to meet. Some of them are common sense, while others are the requirements of the Internet Archive that stores the recordings.
Also, a single section (piece of recorded text) should not exceed 72 minutes of finished recording.

There are probably some other things that I've forgotten about, but I think those are the most important.

Also, have fun :D
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

Hi Jaime
Piotrek81 gives some good advice.
All readers should register with Librivox and be familiar with our procedures by submitting the one minute test, and then participate in a few short projects to see how things work here, check out projects in the Short Works forum (linked in my signature).
I see the book is on Gutenburg, so it is PD, and would be a welcome addition to the LibriVox collection.
A browse though our Wiki will give you a lot more information.

* You say you've already starting reading, the LV intros and outros will have to be edited in, as well as correcting any tech issues found in your 1 minute test. :wink:
(Alternately you could submit the book directly to archive.org)
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

One other thing that they didn't mention above (and I'm also a rank-and-filer, :wink: but I think it's important to point out) is that by placing the recording on LV, you're putting it into the public domain as well. So that would mean that the audio version would not belong either to the library or the reader. Many of the recordings from LV end up on YouTube or something, or even repackaged and sold on Ebay. If that isn't something you're all ok with, you may want to look into other options for distributing the recording. On the other hand, if there's no objection to that, then of course, we would be thrilled to have you, and any other readers you may want to recruit!
ABCL

Post by ABCL »

Thank you guys for all of your help!

Americanization is in the public domain and should any unforeseen issues arise, we (and by we, I mean Bok Tower Gardens) are also Edward Bok's literary heir.

I will pass this information along to our wonderful volunteer and we'll do a 1 minute audio test and go from there.

Thank you again!