Why do certain works have "duplicates" on Librivox?

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Voxandis

Post by Voxandis »

I recently contributed to a collection of fairytales called "My Book of Favorite Fairytales" by Edric Vredenburg, but realized there's already the same work on Librivox, read by other readers. Why is this? And how is it decided which works will be recorded again? Why do we not prioritize works with no recordings yet, over works which already have a recording? Who decides?
:D I'm looking for feedback on my recordings, especially on storytelling and character voices (but any feedback is welcome, I'm here to learn!). My recent contributions:

Fairytale: Tufty Riquet

Play: The Dream, role of Wovelreid: Act II, III
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

We call it "choice of voice." :)

Sometimes people will do a solo of a work that only has a group project. Or they like a book so much that they want to record it. Or a/the previous version is of poor recording quality, so they want to do a "cleaner" version. The reasons are many and varied.

We allow it because... why not? :)

We're all volunteers. If someone signs up to LV and is dying to record a certain book, do we turn them away because the book was recorded 15 years ago? They might record other, unrecorded works for us later on if they can do their favorite book now.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

expanding a bit
We don't allocate books, the BC picks a project and runs it
If like some or many of our readers (I don't know the numbers but I do know that there are some) you'd prefer to only expand our catalogue you can check the catalogue before signing up or ask the BC

Anne
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Librivox volunteers decide for themselves which books to record (or to manage as group projects) -- there's no central deciding body that specifies what will be recorded. Librivox is a platform for people to make audio recordings of anything they like as long as it fits our text policy and basic recording guidelines. So if 25 different people want to record Pride and Prejudice solo, they could all do it here. Or someone might want to run a duplicate group reading of a really popular book (like Sherlock Holmes stories) just to give new people a chance to get in on the fun. As Tricia said, there are lots of reasons people might want to record something that's already been done. That said, plenty of volunteers look for books that aren't already in the catalog to record, so not that many of our in-progress books are duplicates.
Laurie Anne