Which books/works are allowed?

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
LadyAmalthea

Post by LadyAmalthea »

Hi, I'm new here and still finding my way :)

I would like to volunteer my voice and was looking for projects, but so far didn't find a book or story in the Volunteers Wanted threads that I am familiar with.

If I wanted to record a short story myself, are there any copyright restrictions that I need to take into account? Or is everything fair game? I would love to read something by Truman Capote, for instance...

Thanks in advance for your help and sorry if this question has already been answered previously!
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Welcome to LibriVox
It's been answered infinitely often , but don't worry, it will be asked again regularly.
We can only record books which are PD in the USA and in general this means from an edition published 1922 or earlier. So you will not have heard of many of the authors , so picking a chapter to read if it looks interesting to you is a great way to find a new favourite author.
Once you've done your 1 minute test and read a copuple of things from the readers wanted you'll have more idea of what you like recording. The test isn't an audition , it's just a way to make sure all the tech bits are right, using a very short bit of text

Anne