file specs are ok (checker, ubuntu, windows) but it has 129 kbps

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Thank you jo for figuring things out! :clap:

The easiest solution for the time being - as long as our validator problem is not fixed - is probably to download an older version of LAME (the 3.99r that jo suggests) and use this one for your mp3 encodings.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
schrm

Post by schrm »

ok, i will try!
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
schrm

Post by schrm »

just for the records/maybe of interest for others:
it is not possible to downgrade the single lame encoder, because half of the system is uninstalled (eg my desktop - which doesnt mean everyone uses the same desktop), the same is void for gstreamer (nautilus, gnome video effects, alsa, the whole desktop)
the latest (debian unstable) version of lame, according to the changelog, was dealing with lame, only:
lame (3.100-2) unstable; urgency=medium

* Add CVE ids to previous changelog entry.
* Add a libmp3lame0.symbols file now that LAME only exports
its own API (Closes: #702290).
* Let lame suggest lame-doc (Closes: #805899).
--> i will have to reinstall my system or even go down a version with that..

cheers,
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Would you please upload and link a file that shows 129 kbps? (Or if one is already uploaded, just post the link.) I want to try something.

EDIT: I got links to your 3 sections in Rübezahlbuch. No need to respond to this. :)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
GrayHouse

Post by GrayHouse »

schrm,
I'm not convinced that we've established the cause of your problem yet.
We're working on the assumption that [the linux version of] LAME 3.100 is the cause of the problem, and that reverting to a previous version of the LAME encoder will provide a workaround.

But... the sections you submitted to the Weekly Poems here and here both used LAME 3.100 and they both catalogued without problem. Does that nullify our working hypothesis?? All your other catalogued sections used the 3.99r encoder.

If reverting to the previous version involves huge effort then I'm not sure it's worth it as it's not guaranteed to cure your problem.

All the programs we've tried identify you mp3 files as fully correct and compliant EXCEPT the software used at the cataloguing stage. I think that's where someone needs to look, though it may take a while before the right volunteer can dedicate some time to it...

-Ian
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I took the 3 sections that started this inquiry and uploaded them to Archive as a separate, test project.
It's here: https://archive.org/details/test_project_1807

The files derived correctly, and acted just like 128kbps constant bit rate files.

So I am of the opinion that we can ignore the warning in the Validator and catalog these as usual. The validator software will have to be modified somehow to remove this false error, but that doesn't affect the readers and BCs. The MCs will just have to be aware of this, verify that the files are 128kbps per the Checker and other software, and carry on cataloging.
schrm

Post by schrm »

TriciaG wrote: July 16th, 2018, 9:17 am I took the 3 sections that started this inquiry and uploaded them to Archive as a separate, test project.
It's here: https://archive.org/details/test_project_1807

The files derived correctly, and acted just like 128kbps constant bit rate files.

So I am of the opinion that we can ignore the warning in the Validator and catalog these as usual. The validator software will have to be modified somehow to remove this false error, but that doesn't affect the readers and BCs. The MCs will just have to be aware of this, verify that the files are 128kbps per the Checker and other software, and carry on cataloging.

@grayhouse: you did a lots of work in research, didn't you? thank you!
i was reading about 2 files in one project i participated, which caused problems for carolin - and it seems to be a problem, whoch is more and more happening.
also anne posted already, that she just re-exports these files.
so, in short: availle and me thought, that could be a problem not only affecting me, and we should try to find the best solution which is do-able for all librivoxers...

@triciag: love the renamed filetitles :lol:
since i dont know how you are working and are specialized in the admin-levels, may i ask back:
is that final and do you have that information posted for all admins?
(i would be rather happy to keep my install for now)

thx and cheers,
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I have posted that information to the other admins. I would like a confirmation from at least one or two of them that my conclusions are correct before making a "Thus says the admin" definitive statement.

So for now, proceed as usual without reinstalling. If worse comes to worst and my conclusion is incorrect, you might have to re-export the files after changing your installation. I don't think it will come to that, but I suppose it is a possibility.
schrm

Post by schrm »

TriciaG wrote: July 16th, 2018, 11:53 am I have posted that information to the other admins. I would like a confirmation from at least one or two of them that my conclusions are correct before making a "Thus says the admin" definitive statement.

So for now, proceed as usual without reinstalling. If worse comes to worst and my conclusion is incorrect, you might have to re-export the files after changing your installation. I don't think it will come to that, but I suppose it is a possibility.
thank you!
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

Ok, that is strange.

There are some files of mine that have been loaded up since July, my LAME is 3.100, too (also on Ubuntu), according to checker and they seem to have been catalogued without hassles; at least I didn't get any complaints except the one for "Jenseit des Tweed". :hmm: Only, I am not sure if I converted all with Audacity as I usually record with Ardour and sometimes I just convert the files with a little tool called "Soundconverter". I only use Audacity when I can't get the overall volume right and am too lazy to deal with this in Ardour (de-amplifying is more convenient in Audacity) or need noise reduction and am to lazy to deal with the equalizer :oops: . Soundconverter seems to have an own mp3-encoder.

So this could maybe a workaround - export them as flac/wav and convert with Soundconverter; you should find Soundconverter in the repository, probably universe or multiverse as the codecs are ugly ;) Would be worth a try, better than downgrading Ubuntu :lol:
schrm

Post by schrm »

moniaqua wrote: December 25th, 2018, 3:27 am Ok, that is strange.

There are some files of mine that have been loaded up since July, my LAME is 3.100, too (also on Ubuntu), according to checker and they seem to have been catalogued without hassles; at least I didn't get any complaints except the one for "Jenseit des Tweed". :hmm: Only, I am not sure if I converted all with Audacity as I usually record with Ardour and sometimes I just convert the files with a little tool called "Soundconverter". I only use Audacity when I can't get the overall volume right and am too lazy to deal with this in Ardour (de-amplifying is more convenient in Audacity) or need noise reduction and am to lazy to deal with the equalizer :oops: . Soundconverter seems to have an own mp3-encoder.

So this could maybe a workaround - export them as flac/wav and convert with Soundconverter; you should find Soundconverter in the repository, probably universe or multiverse as the codecs are ugly ;) Would be worth a try, better than downgrading Ubuntu :lol:
thank you for your hint, i will try to use soundconverter with my next files!
...i dont want to be the cause for extra work for our mc's....
maybe that is the solution i was looking for, but couldnt find any (which tested ok for our forum software)
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I personally have had one project where there were 129 kbps files, and I know other MCs have had projects with such files. So far, they all go to Archive with no problems, as if they were 128 kbps files. So don't re-export or convert. You may have to tell a nervous MC that it'll be OK at Archive, but so far that does seem to be the case. :)