Trouble Finding a Place to Volunteer

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Ksimpson

Post by Ksimpson »

Hello,

I am super new to this website and currently saving up for a good microphone.

However, as I wait for it to be delivered- its really hard to find a book to volunteer to read. However, this website is a little overwhelming at times however it is hard to find a book that I can match my voice with.

Any suggestions?
I am Kay, fellow newbie and fascinated with voice acting.

"The difference between novice and the master is that the master has failed more times than the novice has tried." Koro Sensei
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Ksimpson wrote: July 13th, 2018, 2:37 pm Hello,

I am super new to this website and currently saving up for a good microphone.

However, as I wait for it to be delivered- its really hard to find a book to volunteer to read. However, this website is a little overwhelming at times however it is hard to find a book that I can match my voice with.

Any suggestions?
You are definitely in the right place; don't get discouraged. Yes, this site can indeed be overwhelming but everything is there for a reason and you will eventually learn where it all is.
I recommend a little video Getting to know our forums http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnxpcbnEjoQ&feature=youtu.be that I made some years ago. It is a bit out of date but still has some good info in it. As to a book, that will eventually bring you great pleasure, the search and then the recording. But also, it may take a bit of relaxing, exploring the forum and finding what you like and enjoy first. Anyway, glad you are here and please continue to ask if anything is confusing. We are a friendly bunch here. :thumbs:
Peruvian owls always hunt in pairs because they are inca hoots.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

its really hard to find a book to volunteer to read.
Any of the "Readers Wanted" forums have books for volunteers to read. (In a couple of them, if they say "FULL" in the subject line, then they're full up. But otherwise, they're open to all.)

We recommend getting your feet wet in group projects before embarking on a solo, so just look for the Readers Wanted forums. :)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

My suggestion is that your voice will best match what you are most interested in and excited by! What kind of books do you like to read for yourself?

It does take some time to get used to how the forum is laid out. It's organized into sub forums. There are four Readers Wanted forums.

[*] Short Works: Short stories, short nonfiction, poetry mainly.
    [*] Books: Longer works, novels, histories, treatises, etc, broken up into chapters usually.
    [*] Dramatic works: Plays and books that have been "scripted," to be read by different people as characters. Here you can play a role and get to develop your particular character, rather than reading the whole thing.
    [*] Languages other than English: Should be self explanatory. :)

If you see something that you think will be fun to read, go ahead and sign up to read it! The most important thing is that you enjoy your projects.
    Ksimpson

Post by Ksimpson »

Thank you so much for the support, that does make me feel a bit better.

And that video was a huge help!!
    I am Kay, fellow newbie and fascinated with voice acting.

"The difference between novice and the master is that the master has failed more times than the novice has tried." Koro Sensei
    kayray

Post by kayray »

mightyfelix wrote: July 13th, 2018, 3:14 pm My suggestion is that your voice will best match what you are most interested in and excited by! What kind of books do you like to read for yourself?
    YES. Please don't feel you need to read a book that matches your dialect, age, or gender. Read something that seems like fun to you! :9:
    Kara
    http://kayray.org/
    --------
    "Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)