Franklin Is Missing

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
msfry

Post by msfry »

When I do a search for Ben or Benjamin Franklin in the LV catalog, my solo below does not show up. I guess it's because Ben or Benjamin isn't in the title? How can I fix this problem? Also holds true for IA.

https://librivox.org/the-many-sided-franklin-by-paul-leicester-ford/
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Well, his first name isn't in the title, and like you say, he's not the author. So searching by title or author for "Benjamin (or Ben) Franklin" won't return the result.

It is in the keywords, but the keyword search doesn't really work.

For our catalog, I can't think of anything to cause it to show up, other than changing the search term (using just "Franklin" will bring it up). I can't think of anything to add to the catalog entry to make it show in a search result for Benjamin Franklin.

This is true of plenty of other books as well. If would be helpful if the keyword search worked correctly - that would be the ultimate solution.

At Archive, if you search "Benjamin Franklin Librivox" it does come up.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
msfry

Post by msfry »

Thanks, Tricia. It's a pity LV's keywords don't work properly, and that IA doesn't pick up the keywords listed. Knowledge these days depends on things being searchable/findable. Please tell me that's on LV's wish list.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Archive does pick up the listed keywords.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Okay I see it does list them. I shall have to pay more attention to adding meaningful keywords on future projects. :roll:
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

The keyword search in the LV catalog works, but the keywords need to be entered in the database as single words. So if I add 'Benjamin' and 'Franklin' as individual keywords, then a keyword search for Benjamin Franklin does your solo. It's because it was only coded to search terms with the Boolean operator 'and' not 'or' which means it has to be an exact match to the keywords as entered. This is on the list to be fixed to work more like you would expect.
Jo
msfry

Post by msfry »

So is it possible to go in and change the keyword in my catalogued project to say Benjamin, Ben, Franklin?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I've done this, but so far it's not affecting the search results. I think the search cache has to refresh before it'll take effect (an hour or two).
msfry

Post by msfry »

Okay thanks, Tricia. I'll try it I a bit, and hope it works. And thanks Jo for letting me know it's on the list. Search is so important, from the old library card catalog days to the present "Google phenomenon" (even though I find Bing produces more targeted results).