Author Homer Greene bio information

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
DACSoft

Post by DACSoft »

I wasn't sure where to post this, so hope this forum is the right place. :)

Over the past few years I've solo'ed 3 readings from author Homer Greene (1853 - 1940) -- https://librivox.org/author/10496 . His author page currently has no biographical information.

I've researched and found some PD biographical information for Mr. Greene, and was hoping the following condensed excerpt could be added to his author page. If you have any question or need additional info, please let me know.

Thank you,

Don (DACSoft)

Excerpt:
Homer Greene, Esq., the poet-lawyer, was born at Ariel, Wayne County, ... [PA,] ... January 10, 1853; was graduated from Union College, June, 1876, with the degrees of A. B. and C. E., and from the Albany Law School in 1877 with the degree of LL. B; admitted to the Wayne County bar December, 1878, ... serving as District Attorney of the County for one term.... His first literary effort was written while a student at the Riverview Military Academy, Poughkeepsie, New York; it was a story entitled "The Mad Skater," and was published in Wayne Reid's Magazine Onward for June, 1869. While a student at Union College he contributed liberally both in prose and verse to college literature.... "What My Lover Said," his best-known poem, was written during his senior year and first published in the New York Evening Post, November 9, 1875, with only the initials "H. G." signed to it. Its merits were patent, and it was widely copied and largely credited to Horace Greeley. The newspapers, however, were soon corrected.... Mr. Greene seems quite as much at home in prose compositions as in his verse; and the same individual tone that dominates his poems is equally marked in his stories. "The Professional Juror" ... "A Thanksgiving Verdict" ... "Dick, the Door Boy" ... "The Van Slyck Dog-Case", and "The Blind Brother," which won The Youth's Companion's fifteen-hundred dollar prize, are all legitimate works of fiction. His themes are original and well chosen; his keen observation penetrated by an imagination which is quickened into activity by a deep and humane sentiment; the tone of his stories is healthy and life giving throughout, and his lay characters transmitted into creatures of flesh and blood; his language is smooth and copious; his descriptive passages are life-like, and his artistic execution not inferior to that of the best novelists of the day.
(excerpted from "Poets and Poetry of the Wyoming Valley", by Will S. (Seymour) Monroe (1863-1939), published March 1887. TIA link: https://archive.org/details/poetspoetryofwyo00monr )
Don (DACSoft)
Bringing the Baseball Joe series to audio!

In Progress:
The Arrival of Jimpson; Baseball Joe in the World Series
Next up:
Two College Friends; Baseball Joe Around the World
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

PD bios are great! Yes, we'd like to have them if we can get them - and MCs aren't going to invest a lot of time in trying to find them. So help is appreciated. :)

We'll get this cut down a bit and added to the database. Thanks!
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
DACSoft

Post by DACSoft »

Thank you Tricia! :thumbs:

Don
Don (DACSoft)
Bringing the Baseball Joe series to audio!

In Progress:
The Arrival of Jimpson; Baseball Joe in the World Series
Next up:
Two College Friends; Baseball Joe Around the World