How do I sign up for and post notes for Proof Listening?

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Dysgyzed

Post by Dysgyzed »

Hello, All.
I'm, obviously, new here; I've read through the forum on this topic (even took notes and enjoyed the quiz!)
However, I'm still confused.
I went to the post that requested PL and noted my interest. I'm able to listen to the recording in Windows Media Player, which I did.
I found no errors that needed to be corrected/noted.
Still, I'm not able to do any work in the "Magic Window" to indicate that I've read it, ect.
So, I'm becoming frustrated, am not sure my question is even clear, and ...
would someone please tell me how to:

*"Claim" the PL task?
*Provide the note "PL Good," or whatever else may need to be said?

I DO appreciate your help!
~Angelique

Also ... does anyone have a suggestion for a great computer forum that may be able to help me figure out how to download files? My attempts to "unblock" file downloads have failed miserably, and therefore I'm not able to actually lay down the audio. *Laugh*
I look forward to maximally contributing to the sites.
---------
Yes. Confusion DOES reign in this world!
I try to laugh at it before I begin to scream and cry! *GRIN*
dlolso21
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by dlolso21 »

Angelique,

I am going to try and answer your questions as well as explain the processes involved, if you are still confused, please re-ask a question.
I went to the post that requested PL and noted my interest. ...snip ... would someone please tell me how to: *"Claim" the PL task? ... snip ... Still, I'm not able to do any work in the "Magic Window" to indicate that I've read it, ect. So, I'm becoming frustrated, am not sure my question is even clear, and ... *Provide the note "PL Good," or whatever else may need to be said?
If you posted in the forum thread for a project something like, " I would be interested in being DPL for this project." then the next step is to wait for:
1) the project BC to acknowledge/accept you as DPL for the project
and
2) the MC to flip a few software settings so you will be recognized as a DPL and to give you access the specific MW for the project.
Once the MC is done, you should be able to post notes in the MW and change the status of sections from "ready for PL" to "PL OK" or "see PL Notes".
Also ... does anyone have a suggestion for a great computer forum that may be able to help me figure out how to download files? My attempts to "unblock" file downloads have failed miserably, and therefore I'm not able to actually lay down the audio.
For your comments, it sounds like you are using a Windows computer. If so, the simplest way to download a section is to move the mouse over the work Listen and right-click followed by selecting Save Link As ... from the pop-up menu. This should allow you to save the .mp3 file on your computer in whichever directory you prefer.
*Laugh*
I look forward to maximally contributing to the sites.
---------
Yes. Confusion DOES reign in this world!
I try to laugh at it before I begin to scream and cry! *GRIN*
Looking forward to your contribution!! We were all new here once, there are a lot of bits and pieces to this place. Please don't feel bashful about asking questions when things get confusing or frustrating.

David O
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

If you do not want to be DPL on a project right now, you just post a comment in the thread, say which section you listened to and the BC will fill in the the PL ok in the Magic Window, or the "See PL notes", whatever is required. And probably ask you if you don't want to be DPL ;)

Only DPL, MC and BC have access to the Magic Window, not someone who only PLs one or two sections (but still also those two sections are highly welcome :) )
Dysgyzed

Post by Dysgyzed »

Thank you, David.
That does answer my questions regarding this site very well!

I'll not take too much time with the basic computer issue. This is more an issue of being unable to download any software: I've checked my I-net settings, and all is fine there.
But no issue; I am awaiting assistance from a friend to resolve that so I may record via Audacity .. or shall be content for now in reading through works to evaluate for future recording projects, and PL as those become available.

I will certainly keep in mind your tip for actual recording, once I am able to do so!

Your kindness in taking the time to answer is encouraging!
Regards!
~Angelique