audio software?

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
RedRod

Post by RedRod »

Can anyone advise me what the best audio recording software to use? Preferably something free & easy to use I can download.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Your best place to start is Audacity - I think there are links in your welcome email , if not try the guides for listeners and volunteers which are linked in the heading of each page.
It's free and many people here use it so you can get help

Anne
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

I second Anne's suggestion. If you have not used anything prior to joining LV, it will be of great value that so many LVers use Audacity, for you can ask for assistance and somebody is sure to answer promptly.

There are alternatives, of course. After a couple of years of Audacity I have turned to Reaper, which is a more powerful (IMHO) tool. It's not free, though. As far as learning to use Reaper, there is plenty of information on the Web. Audacity did serve as a stepping stone for me, no doubt. I still use Audacity occasionally, but only when I listen.

Some use Adobe Audition (not free, AFAIK), and some use GarageBand (which comes free with MacOS, AFAIK). There is Ocenaudio (free as well, IIRC)...

One can never get a definite answer to a question of what's "the best" of anything. What's the best four-wheeled transport? What's the best programming language? How about the fabric for clothing? And note, that Anne didn't say that Audacity was the best software, just the best place to start.

Good luck and happy recording, whatever tool you choose! :)
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please