Which laptop spec?

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
BeksG79

Post by BeksG79 »

I'm about to buy a basic laptop so I can start recording. Don't want to buy cheapest available and then find out its unsuitable for Librivox.
Any advice on the laptops specification I should be looking at.
Idiot proof answers appreciated!
Thanks Beks
SkyRider

Post by SkyRider »

Hi Beks...

Assuming you're working on Windows, Audacity's minimum specs can be found here: http://www.audacityteam.org/download/windows/ In all honesty, you'd be hard pushed to find a modern laptop that doesn't meet them.

That said, the more screen space you have, the less hassle editing is. You may want to use another computer, try Audacity on it in ever shrinking window sizes and see what resolution you feel you need. If all you have is a work computer that you can't install anything on, it's possible to run Audacity off a memory stick: https://portableapps.com/apps/music_video/audacity_portable

How are you intending to connect the microphone? Is it a USB one or do you need some audio connectors?

Cheers,
Paul
BeksG79

Post by BeksG79 »

Thanks Paul.
Yes I'll be working on Windows and the link you gave has answered all my questions.
Before my old laptop died I bought a USB snowball ice mic. Am looking forward to see how it performs!

Thanks for your help, I'm off laptop shopping!
SkyRider

Post by SkyRider »

Good luck! Looking forward to hearing your results!

Paul
Cori

Post by Cori »

I think the only thing I'd avoid would be a Chromebook (which is not Windows anyway.) I'm sure they're great in other settings, but very hard to use for LibriVox. Everything else is up to you. I record on an incredibly ancient Windows 98 laptop (that doesn't connect to the internet in any way, so I have no worry running an ancient OS with no antivirus.) The technical spec is probably dismal, but because I ONLY have the recording software running while I record, it's fine.

(I then do all my editing, uploading, and forum posting on a better, higher-spec, properly-protected Win10 computer. :D But it wouldn't be possible to carry it to where I record, so this alternative works for me.)
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

A laptop with an SSD rather than a spinning HD make less noise. The MacBook Air is essentially silent. Also, look for used on eBay.
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page
BeksG79

Post by BeksG79 »

Thanks for all the advice. I've gone for a Lenovo Ideapad which I think ticks all the boxes. I'm collecting it on Sunday. Plan to have my 1 minute test done soon after.