Instructions on how to remove breath in audacity (reduce volume)

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
schrm

Post by schrm »

CliveCatterall wrote: March 17th, 2018, 9:29 am As other have said, I find that a recording without *any* breath sounds is a bit weird.

I know you're not looking for tips on reducing the sounds of your breath, but on reducing sounds with audacity (and I'm not setting myself up as an expert). But here is what I have found anyway...

If you open your mouth fully when breathing it helps to reduce the noise. Easier to do that turning to the side (I never managed to learn that).

I also find that breathing as slowly as possible and using the whole of the gap between sentences makes the most difference. Don't pause in the gaps and then gasp quickly, or wait to start a paragraph and inhale at the last minute. Start to breathe in as soon as you finish the sentence. And don't leave breathing too late. Break long sentences: it's much easier to breathe quietly and quickly if you haven't completely emptied your lungs.

If you can't find a place to break the sentence sometimes you have to take little "sips" of breath to get you to the end of the sentence. It never sounds that good (no rhythm or structure to the sentence), but what can you do if the writer insists on 174 word sentences as in "Studies in he Art of Rat Catching"?

Writers. What can you do?

Clive

i have that asthmatic breaths and cut them out. brutal, but isnt it brutal to be like a "rhino", too?
:mrgreen:

thank you for these advices, i will try them all!
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
CliveCatterall

Post by CliveCatterall »

One other thing I just remembered from playing woodwind. When you open your mouth to breathe make sure your tongue is low down in your mouth or you will restrict the airflow through your mouth. You will get a noisy breath and much less air in your lungs. Think about "pushing your lower jaw down with your tongue" to make the biggest gap to breathe through.

[Playing "The Leaves be Green" by William Byrd on an early tenor recorder takes a lot of breath (though I understand modern flutes take even more).]

Clive
schrm

Post by schrm »

CliveCatterall wrote: April 21st, 2018, 8:50 am One other thing I just remembered from playing woodwind. When you open your mouth to breathe make sure your tongue is low down in your mouth or you will restrict the airflow through your mouth. You will get a noisy breath and much less air in your lungs. Think about "pushing your lower jaw down with your tongue" to make the biggest gap to breathe through.

[Playing "The Leaves be Green" by William Byrd on an early tenor recorder takes a lot of breath (though I understand modern flutes take even more).]

Clive
:thumbs: thank you once again!
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275