Alpha sort not working for some advanced searches

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
AlanMintaka

Post by AlanMintaka »

Hi Everyone,
I've been experimenting with Advanced Search and have come across a few cases in which the alpha sort by title does not seem to work. Here's an example of one such case:

https://librivox.org/search?title=&author=Lester+Del+Rey&reader=&keywords=&genre_id=30&status=all&project_type=either&recorded_language=1&sort_order=alpha&search_page=1&search_form=advanced

Here I've used the Advanced Search form to locate books by author Lester Del Rey in the genre "Fantastic Fiction > Science Fiction", with the "Sort By" option set to "Aphabetical". However the resulting hit list isn't alpha-sorted as far as I can see. Anyone else run into this problem?
Alan Mintaka
Rising Moon Genealogy Services
Alan Ira Gordon - SF Author
"I believe a leaf of grass
is no less than the journey-work of the stars."
--Walt Whitman
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

It looks like it orders by the title of the catalog entry, not by the title of the section.
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

To expand on Tovarisch's response:

The cases where it doesn't seem to be sorted correctly are cases in which individual stories in collections are being returned. In those cases, the alphabetical sort is working on the project title ("book" title, if you will, even though it's not a traditional book). So the sort IS working; just not in an expected way.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
AlanMintaka

Post by AlanMintaka »

TriciaG wrote: March 7th, 2018, 11:23 am To expand on Tovarisch's response:
The cases where it doesn't seem to be sorted correctly are cases in which individual stories in collections are being returned. In those cases, the alphabetical sort is working on the project title ("book" title, if you will, even though it's not a traditional book). So the sort IS working; just not in an expected way.
Ah, I see it now. Thanks to you both!
Alan Mintaka
Rising Moon Genealogy Services
Alan Ira Gordon - SF Author
"I believe a leaf of grass
is no less than the journey-work of the stars."
--Walt Whitman
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Nothing has changed with the software since 2015 when you last asked the same things . Archive does have a more complex sort but as they don't have the content of collections that will not give you the format you want .

Anne