Any difference in Audacity Amplify effect and MP3 gain?

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
RajVO

Post by RajVO »

moniaqua wrote: March 9th, 2018, 2:02 am
RajVO wrote: March 6th, 2018, 11:10 am
moniaqua wrote: March 6th, 2018, 1:05 am ReplayGain (which seems to be basically the same as MP3Gain, only as plugin) does it if you choose Normalize there, not Analyze. I only do not like to use it because it doesn't care about clipping - not good for my reading :)
Oh! when at all the Normalize effect needs to be used?
Sorry, I missed that. Normalizing is amplifying to a certain level. So you need it for example to get a too soft recording louder (if the peaks allow, or with clipping if there are too high peaks. But clipping doesn't sound nice).
Now it's my turn to say sorry for the delay, in seeing your post.
Anyway, Amplify looks easier than Normalize!
My Project Catalog
Cheers, Raj.
RajVO

Post by RajVO »

TriciaG wrote: March 9th, 2018, 6:53 am Clarification:

Normalizing is amplifying the recording so that the biggest waveform is at a certain level. So if you had a very quiet recording with one loud click that causes a spike in the wave form, normalizing would adjust the volume such that that one spike would be at the level you specify (X dB under maximum/clipping).

Amplifying is... amplifying the recording a specified amount, regardless of peaks or wave forms.

I amplify instead of normalize because it tells me more about what the final volume of the recording will be. If ReplayGain or MP3Gain says "adjust the volume by 3.0 dB", I know if I amplify, I can do it by 3.0 dB. Normalize doesn't tell me how much it's changing the volume, other than that the peak wave form will be within X dB of clipping.

In the ReplayGain plug-in, I think calling it "normalize" is the wrong term. What it's doing is actually amplifying to get you to the desired level, just like using Effect/Amplify would.
It's a nice explanation, Tricia.
Still, Amplify looks easier and more straight forward, than Normalize. :)
My Project Catalog
Cheers, Raj.
RajVO

Post by RajVO »

Is there any trick (effect, plugin etc), to eliminate the breathing sounds?
Searching and removing manually takes a lot of time, particularly in large files.
My Project Catalog
Cheers, Raj.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Unless you sound like you just ran upstairs don't remove them , it's nice to know the reader is still alive :D
You know the way to get better is to practice , and think about what you are reading. When and if you become a professional you'll have a sound engineer.
Early on I was told to feel like I was reading to a sick friend and that's what we aim for . And the friend would get very worried if we stopped breathing .

Anne
RajVO

Post by RajVO »

You are right. We don't want to eliminate all breathing sounds.
Some scripts may even need them. :D
But when we need to, is there anything like a De-Clicker or De-Esser?
That's the question.
My Project Catalog
Cheers, Raj.
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

RajVO wrote: March 14th, 2018, 11:32 pm But when we need to, is there anything like a De-Clicker or De-Esser?
That's the question.
I don't know if anything like this exists. I try to minimize those sounds on reading. If your throat is open, the body will take easily and quietly only the air needed. It is what singer do :)
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

RajVO wrote: March 14th, 2018, 11:32 pm But when we need to, is there anything like a De-Clicker or De-Esser?
It would be called a "De-Breather" :wink:

Those who want to remove them use a "Noise Gate", which essentially eliminates (squashes to 0) all samples lower than the given level. It does make for a very weird listening because there is usually room noise under the voice, which is completely gone between phrases. Sounds like somebody turns the mic totally off right after speaking and turns it on again just before speaking. Done well it works. You need a really quiet place to record in, you need to clean the rest of the audio before applying noise gate, and then it just might sound OK... Do keep that in mind.
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
RajVO

Post by RajVO »

moniaqua wrote: March 15th, 2018, 2:27 am
That's the question.
I don't know if anything like this exists. I try to minimize those sounds on reading. If your throat is open, the body will take easily and quietly only the air needed. It is what singer do :)
Minimizing the sounds may come by practice. So, there seems no specific tool for this! :)
My Project Catalog
Cheers, Raj.
RajVO

Post by RajVO »

tovarisch wrote: March 15th, 2018, 5:08 am
It would be called a "De-Breather" :wink:

Those who want to remove them use a "Noise Gate", which essentially eliminates (squashes to 0) all samples lower than the given level. It does make for a very weird listening because there is usually room noise under the voice, which is completely gone between phrases. Sounds like somebody turns the mic totally off right after speaking and turns it on again just before speaking. Done well it works. You need a really quiet place to record in, you need to clean the rest of the audio before applying noise gate, and then it just might sound OK... Do keep that in mind.
Yes. Sorta De-Breather :D
I too heard of Noise Gate. Is it a hardware tool or software?
My Project Catalog
Cheers, Raj.
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

RajVO wrote: March 15th, 2018, 11:45 am I too heard of Noise Gate. Is it a hardware tool or software?
Yes
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
RajVO

Post by RajVO »

Noise gates are available both as Hardware and Software!
Prices and pros/cons to be explored. Those who are already using it may chime in..
My Project Catalog
Cheers, Raj.