gutenberg blocked me

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
johnb2

Post by johnb2 »

Any tips I got this message from Guttenberg.

Your IP Address is Blocked from www.gutenberg.org
We apologize for this inconvenience. Your IP address has been automatically blocked from the address you tried to visit at www.gutenberg.org or a partner site.

Diagnostic information:

Referrer URL (if available): https://www.google.com/

Why did this block occur?
Project Gutenberg's Terms of Use prohibit mass downloads or automated harvesting of the collection. The site relies on donated servers and bandwidth, so has automated mechanisms in place to detect when too many downloads are occurring from a single location (IP address). This helps to keep the site as available as possible for visitors. Some reasons why IP addresses are blocked include:

Your program is trying to "harvest" the contents. Instead, see the Mirroring How-To, and the Robot ReadMe, once your block has expired.
You have a shared IP address, and someone else has triggered the block. This has happened with Amazon Kindle, where Amazon funnels Kindles through their cloud servers. Instead, download to your computer, and transfer to your reader device. See the Mobile reader devices how-to, once your block has expired. It also happens sometimes with TOR, with classrooms/schools, and other situations where the same IP address is being shared.
DACSoft

Post by DACSoft »

I received a similar blocking message web page, except that my referrer URL was "(none)" and the diagnostic info had an IP address. Further down in the content was the following statement.
Adjustment of the blocking software in late February and early March 2018 has resulted in some "false positives" -- that is, blocks that should not have occurred.
I forwarded the diagnostic info to their help desk for resolution (a couple hours ago).

FYI,
Don
Don (DACSoft)
Bringing the Baseball Joe series to audio!

In Progress:
The Arrival of Jimpson; Baseball Joe in the World Series
Next up:
Two College Friends; Baseball Joe Around the World
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Yep, me too, and at least one other admin. Sounds like their blocker is too sensitive.

I sent an email to the address provided along with my IP address that was on the block page.

I'm not surprised they blocked me, if only for my checking readers' texts when setting up a project or on book suggestions, etc., not to mention my own perusals!
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
johnb2

Post by johnb2 »

Lately, I have been recording several different book chapters at the same time and also last night chose to use Google Docs to hold the copies.. Which means I can still use the stuff I uploaded. The block notice says 24 hours duration - the first time, permanently the next. Ouch!!
libraryanne

Post by libraryanne »

I just got blocked too. Their software is too sensitive. I've been on PG much more than this daily in the past and never had a problem. I hope they fix this as soon as possible.

Betty
Ariverlion

Post by Ariverlion »

I believe they fixed it, my blocks are lifted
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

I was blocked earlier today, but am now able to access the site.

MaryAnn
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

I was just happy that I could access the site, but they blocked me again when I started book search :evil:
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I got an apology email, that was apparently sent to 400 people.

Do send an email with your information (IP address) to the address on the "blocked" message page. It might get you unblocked sooner.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

OUTCH! I just wanted to follow your suggestion and look for the email-address. The text has changed:
A Court in Germany ordered that access to certain items in the Project Gutenberg collection are blocked from Germany. Project Gutenberg believes the Court has no jurisdiction over the matter, but until the issue is resolved during appeal, it will comply.

For more information about the German court case, visit PGLAF's information page about the German lawsuit.

For more information about the legal advice Project Gutenberg has received concerning international issues, visit PGLAF's International Copyright Guidance for Project Gutenberg
If a book is published before 1923, it is really very likely that the author has died until 1947. And also we still can check it.
That is crazy. What is to come next, do they charge LibriVox as well?!
johnb2

Post by johnb2 »

I am UN blocked now. My fingers are crossed. I may have overeacted, maybe not!

Thanks for all your comments.

john
Cori

Post by Cori »

In case it helps in future, Gutenberg books are all stored at the Internet Archive, like our files ... so try searching there for the actual Gutenberg text. :D
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

Good idea! Thank you :)