I can't seem to remove this distortion

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Edmonds

Post by Edmonds »

:help: :help: :help:

I have thrown most every filter Audacity has at this, but nothing seems to work right, does anyone have a suggestion? Should I just rerecord this?

https://librivox.org/uploads/xx-nonproject/Help.mp3
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Can you provide a longer snippet? There's not enough there for me to hear much of anything.
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

I hear "their berths were commodious" with some distortion (or interference) on the word "berths". You should be able to punch it in, no?

Generally, whenever there's a thump or other sound that gets recorded alongside one's voice, there is not much that can be done in post-processing. Re-recording (punching in) is the best we can do. It's better to start from the beginning of the phrase (or the sentence) and then choose which portion/fraction of the original track to replace with the new one. You can try blending those in as well. I usually just merge them using silence gaps (however short).
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
Edmonds

Post by Edmonds »

tovarisch wrote: March 2nd, 2018, 11:54 am I hear "their berths were commodious" with some distortion (or interference) on the word "berths". You should be able to punch it in, no?

Generally, whenever there's a thump or other sound that gets recorded alongside one's voice, there is not much that can be done in post-processing. Re-recording (punching in) is the best we can do. It's better to start from the beginning of the phrase (or the sentence) and then choose which portion/fraction of the original track to replace with the new one. You can try blending those in as well. I usually just merge them using silence gaps (however short).
I tried "punching it in" but I sounded very different when I tried re-recording it from the original.
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Edmonds wrote: March 2nd, 2018, 3:55 pm
tovarisch wrote: March 2nd, 2018, 11:54 am I hear "their berths were commodious" with some distortion (or interference) on the word "berths". You should be able to punch it in, no?

I tried "punching it in" but I sounded very different when I tried re-recording it from the original.
Don't fret too much. If it's not a dramatic reading, and it's not direct speech that you had to "play", the listener most likely won't notice or will forgive a slight difference in tone or timbre. With time, as you find your voice and technique, it will get more and more consistent.
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
Edmonds

Post by Edmonds »

:D :D :D

I will just punch it in then. Thank you for the advice. :thumbs: :mrgreen: