Librivox Micro-Surgery

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
NCarrington

Post by NCarrington »

I can recommend to other narrators, where only a single word is found to be wrong or even missing: seeking out another version OF that word IN the already recorded text, particularly if it appears in a narrator-only part of the reading; then 'surgically' copying it, (NOT CUTTING it obviously), and then trying, (hopefully successfully) to replace it IN the faulty sentence, (having first, extracted and deleted the incorrect word).
It CAN work, if you also use a tiny bit (almost microscopic- so zoom in!) of 'fade in' and 'fade out', on both ends on the INSERT word and then a 'fade in' on the succeeding word. This should smooth and naturalize the transition. Doing this avoids having to re-configure your studio set-up for re-takes to ensure that both the EQ and distance from mic are exactly the same for a good vocal match, and getting the same emotional pitch of the inserted sentence, as near to the edited raw original as possible( before any processing or noise reduction, de-essing and normalisation has been done). THEN add the mastering effects to the finished the wav file, BEFORE converting it to mp3 for upload.
Good luck!

NCarrington
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I've done that when I've needed to fix a readers file if they are no longer around and there were PLing notes , but for me I usually listen to the whole phrase or sentence a couple of times and then read the sentence and insert it - then listen and make any adjustments I need , But like most LV things , there is no "one size fits all" approach :D

Anne
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I've tried to do this before, but am rarely successful. I usually cannot find the word with the correct intonation. At other times, it's just not a good word to try to cut out (one with no obvious start or end, that just blends into the next word).

So yeah - I end up recording the phrase or sentence over again. How much of it I copy/paste into the original depends on how much of it I decide I want to replace. :lol: I usually do have to do a bit of finessing (volume) to get it to sound right in the space.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Cori

Post by Cori »

If it's a long word, then sometimes it's even possible to snip a copy just of the problem part of it -- I've found that can match better than the whole word, because there's so little of it to sound wrong. I zoom in on the wave view to match the beginning and end parts as closely as possible.

Though, I also use a tool which lets me shift pitch and stretch/squeeze the timing, so with all of that going on, it's quite rare to need a rerecord. (Admittedly, all the faffing might well take longer than just heading back to the mic!)
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!