Not sure my Test uploaded [ANSWERED]

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
ncbeckus

Post by ncbeckus »

I did a test recording and uploaded it (or at least I thought I uploaded it). I haven't heard anything from LibriVox since. This was Sunday, February 4, 2018. If it takes a while to get back about the test, that's fine. No problem. Just wanted to make sure I did everything correctly. I didn't get any message after uploading, like "Uploaded" or "Error message."
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Umm, check your test thread: viewtopic.php?t=69120

If the status bar goes away and the file name turns into a URL, it uploaded.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Tricia,

Perhaps it would help to send a private message explaining the process, and that no other private message is to be expected. I am guessing some new subscribers may not be aware of the usual forum/bulletin board operations...
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
ncbeckus

Post by ncbeckus »

O.k., fixed the bps and saved, I downloaded Checker and ran the file through it and it Passed.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/Test_ncbeckus.mp3

(You need a "fingers crossed" imoji!)

Thanks for all your help!

Nancy
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Nancy,

You may uncross your fingers. All is good. :thumbs:

You are ready for LibriVox. Now, the settings are going to persist unless you explicitly change them. And since you have Checker, it will help you deliver technically correct recordings.

I do hope an admin sees this thread and merges it with your original one in Listeners Wanted, and marks the combined thread with an OK.

You can already head to our "Readers Wanted" and find a group project to join.

Happy recording! :)
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

tovarisch wrote: February 6th, 2018, 11:49 am Perhaps it would help to send a private message explaining the process, and that no other private message is to be expected. I am guessing some new subscribers may not be aware of the usual forum/bulletin board operations...
I'm afraid that's not possible.
The uploader/workflow is completely independent from the forum (it took a lot of work to get the Magic Windows in).
Also, with the generic uploader password, we wouldn't know WHO uploaded a file anyway, and to top that off: techically, it's not necessary to join the forums before uploading a test file...

We do have our process explained in the welcome email that all new forum members get, which is posted in full at the top of the "New Here?" forum; part of which reads:
You will find the information for the 1-Minute Test Recording here: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/1-Minute_Test. The instructions also tell you how to upload your test and then post in the Listeners and Editors Wanted forum so someone can give you feedback on it.
So, the info is there - just need to read it...
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

:hmm: The welcome message is pretty full with information. I think that a new member, if it is not already comfortable with a forum, might indeed be a bit overwhelmed. Especially as it seems to become, as strange as it sounds in a reading community, more and more difficult to read longer passages...

Maybe it helps to just re-format the welcome message a little bit?

Everybody should, strongly recommended, do the 1-minute-test, right? Even if he or she "only" wants to DPL. So I would put this paragraph in the first place. And I would really write into that message that there should only be one thread and that no further PM/Email will be provided.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

No , we don't expect PLers to do the 1 minute test , why would we require them to have a microphone , learn how to use Audacity or use any software before they proof listen files ? If there is a problem with the sound , they can let the BC have a listen and deal with it. I wouldn't be here if that had been a requirement .

Anne
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

Ok, thank you.

So the ways to help at LibriVox are, at the start

- PL, no microphone or recording stuff required, no test required
- reading, microphone and recording stuff required, test strongly recommended
- Illustrating, no recording stuff required, no test required, not even speakers required?

Later on maybe BC/MC and/or admin?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

The uploader itself gives good information, such as (bolded part mine for emphasis):
Instructions:

Use the "Add files" button to select the file(s) from your computer. You can upload multiple files at once, as long as they are all for the same project.
Choose the MC for your project from the dropdown list.
You can use the blue "Start upload" button to upload all files at once, or else upload each file individually using its own button.
Once you have finished uploading all your files, please copy each URL and paste it into a post in the project thread.

Notes:

If you don't post the URLs in the forum, no one will know the files have been sent!
If you're sending a test file, follow your BC's instructions or the instructions here: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/1-Minute_Test
If you accidentally select incorrect files, before uploading you can cancel some or all files with the 'Cancel' button.
If you upload a file twice (with the same filename), the first upload will be renamed so it is not overwritten.
Clicking 'Clear' removes the file from the list, but does not delete it from the server. To have files deleted, contact an admin.
I remember when we were deciding what to put on the uploader page, we tried to make it as self-explanatory as possible. It amazes me sometimes how many people don't read it. (Not just the OP - please, OP, don't think I'm insulting you. It's a widespread phenomenon!)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart