replace c01u microphone

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
CliveCatterall

Post by CliveCatterall »

I apologise for yet another microphone recommendation thread, but these things change and I'd like to hear any more recent problems or thoughts.

I'm going to replace my Samson C01U microphone. It produces a nice sound, but the hiss bugs me. I have to noise clean, and that introduces a slight "metallic" quality to the tone. I would like a nice flat-response capacitor microphone. I don't have a fortune to spend, but I don't mind p[aying for a separate microphone preamp/usb converter thingy.

I have been thinking about the AT2035, mostly because mark nelson uses one (I think) and he makes nice sounds with it. Does anyone have anything bad to say about it? It's not too expensive. What sort of audio interface works with it (if no one has any recommendations I'll have to fall back on the amazon "frequently bought with" suggestion)

Clive
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Hi Clive,

I recently replaced my Samson C03U with the AT2020 USB mic for the same reason. I'm very pleased with it. Other USB mics that get good reviews for low noise floor to consider are the Rode Podecaster or the Blue Yeti.
Jo
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

I am in fact recording The Beautiful and Damned with an AT2035 right now. I use a Focusrite Solo USB interface. The 2035 new with shock mount is about $150; the Solo about $100. The MXL MicMate would also work for a little less. Another possibility is the Apogee MiC, which is USB. I have an older Mac-only version, and the sound and noise are very good. The newer ones are Mac+PC. Deals can be found on eBay, where I got mine.
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Clive,

Unless you have a very nice and quiet place in which to record, I recommend against a condenser. I record with a dynamic mic (Sennheiser e835) connected to Behringer UMC204HD. I strongly recommend this combo. I got the mic used (around $60), the interface new (around $80). The e835 needs the gain to be turned up to the max, but the UMC has very nice preamps, virtually no noise.

I have a Yeti, and use it for Skype on another computer. I did record with it, and it's OK for that, but it still has some noise, and if you have no noise reduction plugin for your software, you will eventually grow tired of its (albeit less noticeable) hiss. I know I did.
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

It is unfortunate that Samson mics are so popular because nearly all of them are noisy. One rare exception is the Q7 dynamic microphone which many think superior to the legendary Shure SM58.

The AT2035 at $150 sounds like a very good deal.

My interface of choice is the Steinberg UR12 which used to be inexpensive but now retails for about $130. An excellent alternative in the Behringer U-PHORIA UMC204HD which now costs about $80.

My most used microphone is the Sennheiser MK4 which sells for about twice the price of the AT2035.

The two USB microphones that I recommend are the AudioTechnica AT2020+ and the Rode NT-USB. For folk who are really strapped for cash, the CAD GXL2400 USB mic ($30) is surprisingly good.

Happy shopping!

Cheers
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by CliveCatterall »

tovarisch wrote: February 3rd, 2018, 1:59 pm Clive,

Unless you have a very nice and quiet place in which to record, I recommend against a condenser. [snip]
Weeeel, some sheep might "baaa" a couple of fields away, but the only sounds we usually get are the sounds of the apples growing in the orchard round the back. Occasionally tractors or harvesters in the autumn. The calves moan a bit around late spring when they are weaned. That's about it...

I'm curious why you suggest not to get a capacitor mike?

Clive
dg73

Post by dg73 »

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R272HLFKK44AL9/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B000JRPYGE

Just to put it out there, I use this mic on a cheap stage stand and just love it. MXL V67G. It's a wide diaphragm condenser that is one of the least expensive semi-pro's. Since it's a condenser it is easy to P Pop so you need to get used to either using a good pop filter. What I found, after research is I place it at eye level so 99% of the pops and breath noise goes under the mic.

Good luck.
Dan Gurzynski
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

CliveCatterall wrote: February 4th, 2018, 2:49 pm
tovarisch wrote: February 3rd, 2018, 1:59 pm Clive,

Unless you have a very nice and quiet place in which to record, I recommend against a condenser. [snip]
Weeeel, some sheep might "baaa" a couple of fields away, but the only sounds we usually get are the sounds of the apples growing in the orchard round the back. Occasionally tractors or harvesters in the autumn. The calves moan a bit around late spring when they are weaned. That's about it...

I'm curious why you suggest not to get a capacitor mike?
Simply because it picks up literally everything. I found that I shouldn't record after a meal or some of my digestion system functionality can get on the track and will need to be edited out. I get trucks passing by our house, planes overhead... Neighbour's dog barking, in the summer folks riding loud bikes... I recorded a whole book once with a condenser and had to take a clock down from the wall in the next room and pull its battery out, otherwise its ticking would get on the track... All those things virtually never happen if I record with a dynamic.
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
CliveCatterall

Post by CliveCatterall »

tovarisch wrote: February 4th, 2018, 7:45 pm I recorded a whole book once with a condenser and had to take a clock down from the wall in the next room and pull its battery out, otherwise its ticking would get on the track... All those things virtually never happen if I record with a dynamic.
Ha ha ha. Yes I see your point. I do switch off the heating system to stop the pump noise from downstairs being picked up etc.! I've got an old AT dynamic mike from years ago I could try. Might be interesting. I'll need to get an interface whether I use a dynamic or capacitor mike, and the AT has an analog XLR connector.

Clive
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

The problem with dynamic mics is that they are generally low output. Not all interfaces can drive them effectively - especially power-hogging mics like the Shure SM7B. You would need to check the specs of the interface to ensure it has enough gain.
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by CliveCatterall »

Mmm. That's true. Now I remember. Back in the days of four-track tape recording the problem I had with dynamic mics was hiss caused by having to boost the signal so much. This limited my use of multitrack recording techniques because more tracks = more noise. (Although a lot of the hiss seemed to be generated by the tape decks themselves, there was a significant noise floor caused by the mics and amps).

Since this conversation was started to limit noise I think I'll stick with my original plan to replace a capacitor microphone with a better capacitor microphone (and edit out the digestion noises/geese honks/central heating).

Clive