corrupted files

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
JayUlf

Post by JayUlf »

I have a difficult time with this site, almost all my Librivox files have come from 3rd party/torrent sites. When searching, even general like title or author, 9 times out of 10 all it loads is the loading.gif. I have downloaded a few historic news article files, other then that, ALL files have been found to be corrupted when trying to unzip them. Is there some deep secret?
I really enjoy and appreciate the efforts put into these audio books, and would even try to submit (read) books if I didn't have a tracheotomy, making speaking difficult and painful.

Respectfully JayUlf
:help: :hmm:
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

I never had this problem on the site, and it is the first time somebody is reporting it, so could you please give us a bit more info:

- What browser are you using
- What device are you using
- What operating system

- Is your internet connection stable
- From where are you going online (some countries block LV / archive, so there may be problems because of that)

:hmm:
That's all I can think of right now.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Another approach may be to change the way you listen - how do you listen at present (Or should I say try to listen :( )

Anne
JayUlf

Post by JayUlf »

Availle wrote: February 2nd, 2018, 7:33 pm I never had this problem on the site, and it is the first time somebody is reporting it, so could you please give us a bit more info:

- What browser are you using - Google Chrme
- What device are you using - WMP/VLaN
- What operating system - Win 7

- Is your internet connection stable - Just slow, in nursing home, wifi
- From where are you going online (some countries block LV / archive, so there may be problems because of that) - USA, like i said, news article get through, novels corrupt

:hmm:
That's all I can think of right now.
Thank you for any help
Jay
kayray

Post by kayray »

You say all your librivox files come from 3rd party or torrent sites -- have you tried downloading directly from our catalog?

Our catalog is here: https://librivox.org/search

Just as a test, try downloading this book, chosen at random for its fairly small file size:

https://librivox.org/bill-doreens-married-life-by-c-j-dennis/

First, try to download via the green "Download" button at the left side.

If direct downloads just won't work for you, there are other options! You could try the "iTunes" button, which will allow you to "subscribe" to the book as if it were a podcast. If you don't use iTunes, you can copy the "RSS" link (right-click the button and choose "copy link address") and paste it into your favorite podcast app.

If that doesn't work, scroll down further to the "internet archive page" link. There you can find all the chapters on one page -- you can start the first chapter and the book will continue to play chapter after chapter, so you don't need to keep clicking.
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
JayUlf

Post by JayUlf »

I should have said all -working- files are torrents, it's the ones from this catalog I have problems with. I may have an idea why, my current connection speed is too slow, and may cause the download to transfer at 0bps at times, causing the corruptions. I don't think this site does well with 'resumed' file transfers.

I went to the link you offered, discovered something I didn't know. If i go to the description page, it offers several options, RSS, iTunes, best of all -for me anyway-, Torrent, using this option I get a clean working set of files.
Thanks for all your help, I do so enjoy 'reading' while knitting, crocheting, or any other handcraft

Jay
kayray

Post by kayray »

That's great, Jay, and it makes sense -- torrents are happy with slow/dropped connections :)

I didn't know our "Torrent" buttons worked -- I thought they were broken long ago. Haha!

I listen while knitting and sewing too!
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

IA (Internet Archive) creates a torrent link for each of our uploaded projects. That torrent is what is linked with the Torrent button on the LV catalog page. The link is also available directly on the IA page under the download options for the book.
Jo