DPL needs help

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
HZFerr

Post by HZFerr »

Hi,

I am a DPL. There is a certain BC that keeps harassing me about doing the technical setting for his projects. Several times I have copied and directed him to these 2 web sites. He is the only one that keeps insisting it is part of my job as DPL to do this.
Can you please help me with this problem?

1-Prooflistening Template and FAQ

2-ProofListening tips and quiz
As a PL or DPL you don't absolutely have to check the technical settings (it is the responsibility of the BC, book coordinator).

TYIA for your time.

Helen
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

This needs to be determined between the PL and BC ahead of time. The BC can ask the DPL to do it, if they cannot. We have had blind BCs - they cannot physically check the tech settings. We've also had blind DPLs. ;)

If the BC insists that you do it, and you do not want to, then I recommend not being DPL for that BC. However, if you're willing to do it, it's a big help to everyone involved!
School fiction: David Blaize
Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

The simple answer is - just don't DPL those projects or for that BC. Just say nicely , "I prefer not to do/am not able to do the technical checks" and find something else.
Projects are team work at LibriVox , we all have different ideas and capabilities , just pick who you work with.

Anne
cross post - we are both right :D
HZFerr

Post by HZFerr »

Ty for your reply, but it did not answer my question. Is it the job of the DPL to do tech settings? Not what the BC says, but what Librivox requirements are? I understand physical limitations, however if a BC has requirements, he could request help from a DPL in advance. Not insist it is the DPL job.

I guess what I am saying is, it is one thing for a BC to request help from the DPL (if they know how to do tech stuff) and another to say it is the requirements of being a DPL.
Helen

POW/MIA, we will remember them.
5/4/66 (S.V.) Malone, Jimmy M.
Private U.S. Army, 1st Battalion, 503rd Infantry
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

If you have problems with a BC , talk to the MC for that project. That's what our job is :D

Anne
HZFerr

Post by HZFerr »

Thank you for your help.
To keep life simple, I just resigned from the project.
Helen

POW/MIA, we will remember them.
5/4/66 (S.V.) Malone, Jimmy M.
Private U.S. Army, 1st Battalion, 503rd Infantry
DACSoft

Post by DACSoft »

HZFerr wrote: January 30th, 2018, 1:28 pm Ty for your reply, but it did not answer my question. Is it the job of the DPL to do tech settings? Not what the BC says, but what Librivox requirements are? I understand physical limitations, however if a BC has requirements, he could request help from a DPL in advance. Not insist it is the DPL job.

I guess what I am saying is, it is one thing for a BC to request help from the DPL (if they know how to do tech stuff) and another to say it is the requirements of being a DPL.
I hope that this will answer your question. It is taken from the LV Wiki (caveat, I don't know how up-to-date the information is).

According to What does a book coordinator do?, Item 8, it is a responsibility of the BC to check the tech settings. ("Also check that the sample rate and bitrate are correct according to our tech specs.") If the project is a solo, the reader is the BC.

On the other hand, according to What is proof-listening?, it is a responsibility of the PL to "verify that the file meets the technical requirements." A DPL is the PL of all sections in a project.

So, based on the Wiki, I understand it as a joint responsibility of both the BC or soloist and the PL/DPL. And should be discussed between them at the initiation of the project.

Note: I was under the impression, when I first began PLing that reviewing tech specs was not a responsibility of the PL/DPL. But the MC of the first collaborative project I DPLed asked if I wouldn't mind verifying the tech specs on submissions by newbie readers, but that it wouldn't be necessary to do so for longer-term readers, as they would be familiar with the specs and would/should be checking them themselves. I was happy to oblige, since I had to do so for my solos.

So I just began to include a review of tech specs for all sections that I've PLed or DPLed, as an additional item in my PL checklist.

FWIW, :)
Don
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

There is a lot of give and take here about most things . And different people have different resources. In my PLing days I always downloaded the files , so dropping them into checker was easy .
But I never listened at the computer - so reading along with the text was not possible - so I didn't do "word perfect"
And if the soloist didn't fix something I felt strongly was wrong , I didn't volunteer to DPL for them again - not because I was right and they were wrong, just because we had different ideas about it
Many of our PLers don't download the files , so for them technical checking is not possible . And we have at least 2 blind PLers that I know of , and possibly more who can't use checker
So my advice to DPLs who are not checking is to let people know , and maybe not to offer for a project that attracts newbies :D .
And to do as much as possible in the forum not via PM - and contact the MC if there is something that is causing friction

Anne
HZFerr

Post by HZFerr »

I have read all the replies; there is so much to learn. I thank you for all your help. :D

Helen