Continuing recording after a few days.

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
awedone

Post by awedone »

OK, say I record for twenty minutes and want to save and come back two days later. I save the file as a flac. Do I amplify and noise reduce and save again then two days later record again and amplify and noise reduce again OR wait until the the whole chapter is done then amplify and noise reduce? The background noise could be different on those two occasions.
Also, please tell me in simple language how to continue on with the recording after a couple of days. For example, if I record half a chapter then finish it two days later.
Thanks in advance,
Franklin
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I usually try to record the entire thing in one sitting, if I can. :) That way I don't run into perplexing problems like this.

IF your recording area is very consistent in noise, and if you are very consistent in voice quality and volume, then it shouldn't be a problem to do noise removal, etc. after finishing the recording.

But if your recording area has different background noise at different times, or if you're sitting in a different way relative to your microphone (so different vocal quality or volume), then I'd say do your postproduction on each piece separately, then stick them together.
Also, please tell me in simple language how to continue on with the recording after a couple of days. For example, if I record half a chapter then finish it two days later.
Umm... open the file in Audacity and press "Record"? That should start it recording at the end of the track, right where you left off.

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
NCarrington

Post by NCarrington »

When you go back to pick up where you left off after some time, it's always best to record 'raw in a nondestructive format i.e. .wav or .flac (not an mp3) as you will have done before and then followed it with the usual processing, i.e. noise reduction, normalisation EQ adjust and de-essing etc. If everything has changed with your studio set-up between recordings, use some EQ adjustment to get as near to a similar sounding setting as your ears can detect.

It's obviously best to have a more permanent set-up in order to avoid this dilemma.

Try not to pick-up when you have a cold, are ill, depressed or hungover. It all comes across in the voice!

Best of luck

NCarrington