GOING SOLO?

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
ajackson

Post by ajackson »

Hello all! I am enjoying recording chapters and having a lot of fun. But I am interested in doing a book SOLO. My question is How do I know which public domain works have not been recorded? Or... Can I record something that can already be found at Librivox? How do I begin this process and where do I start? Thank you all for your advice. Hope to hear from you soon... Anthony
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Hi Anthony

great that you are enjoying the recording process so much that you are venturing for a Solo. To answer your questions:

1) How do I know which public domain works have not been recorded?

the best place to look is in our database: https://librivox.org/

First: find a book (in public domain !) you really would enjoy recording. Then you can look up the author in the database and see which books have already been recorded. Put in the author or book in the search box on top right.

2) Can I record something that can already be found at Librivox?

yes you definitely can, we have a "choice of voice" policy. Let's say you want to do "Wuthering Heights", when I check that, I find the following: https://librivox.org/search?q=wuthering%20heights&search_form=advanced

It has been done once as a group project, once as a solo and once as a dramatic reading. So they will suit different audience tastes already. If you still want to do another Solo version of the book, you can well do that. Often readers do not wish to do a second or third recording of the same book, but if you WISH to do it, you may. :)

3) How do I begin this process and where do I start?

you need to fill out a template and post a new thread in "New projects launch pad": viewforum.php?f=28
All the info about the template for a solo can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=13513

Good luck with your first project :9: If there are questions still, don't hesitate to ask. The first Solo is always a big thing, so I know how you feel.

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

Hi Anthony,

it doesn't matter if a book is already recorded. The only thing really required is that it is in the PD in US and in the country you live in. You are save if you take texts from gutenberg.org.

If you prefer to read a "new" book just go to the LibriVox-Catalogue and look the one you want to read up. If it is not there, than it isn't recorded yet :) (to get sure you should also search this forum - maybe a book is just at the moment worked on)

Then - hmm, there is a thread somewhere, or a wiki page, the wiki has also a nice search :)

edit: Sonia, how can you type that fast? :shock:
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I would suggest though that you didn't pick War and Peace as your first Solo
And when you do pick something - preferably a book you love or an author you love , take a bit of time thinking about how you want to split it up before filling out the solo template - are you reading the preface ? Is it so short you might just include it in the first chapter ? are the chapters so short you want to read several together or so long you'll need to split them ? You are your own book co ordinator so you have more flexibilty and more resposibility

And yes we do allow 2 or more versions - there are some LVers who would never read something that is already in the catalogue though , and it is nice to add to the range of books :D

Anne
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

moniaqua wrote: January 28th, 2018, 3:47 am (to get sure you should also search this forum - maybe a book is just at the moment worked on)
Actually, books that are currently in progress will also come up on the search. :D
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

mightyfelix wrote: January 28th, 2018, 2:28 pm Actually, books that are currently in progress will also come up on the search. :D
:oops: You're right. I should drink my coffee faster ;)
ajackson

Post by ajackson »

Thank you, everyone! I WAS reading the instructions in the GOING SOLO forum but you all have cleared up some questions I had. Another question.. Since you can do more than one chapter at a time, How does that work when uploading? Are the chapters not separated into sections? Does it all just come together at the end?
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Your best plan would be to look at a Solo in the Launch Pad to see what they have done, or to look in the going solo sections - pick something like you are planning .

Anne
Penumbra

Post by Penumbra »

ajackson wrote: January 29th, 2018, 2:44 am Since you can do more than one chapter at a time, How does that work when uploading? Are the chapters not separated into sections? Does it all just come together at the end?
Each recorded file that you upload is one section. As the book BC, you decide how you want to map the chapters into sections. Most commonly by far is one chapter per section. But if a chapter is really long (an hour or more) you need to break it up into multiple sections. If you have really short chapters (under 5 minutes) you should consider combining several chapters into one section. Poetry, however, is frequently an exception to the 5 minute rule. It is common to find in a book of poems one poem per section even when the poems are very short. Also, you may choose to put any prefatory material in its own section, or combine it with the first chapter in the first section.
Tom Penn