How to reduce reverb for under $5.00.

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
MagicMan

Post by MagicMan »

I recently built this homemade face shield due to my not having my sound panels built yet for my second home studio. I should have had them built weeks ago but my wife keeps adding items to my honey do list. This link is to a picture that shows where I used 3/4 inch pvc pipe that does not need to be glued together. It works extremely well and can be broken down and placed in a suit case if you travel and want to take it with you.

This link is also a great solution that covers the corner walls where my desk will be sitting next week. Instead of using heavy moving blankets, I will use two quilts and instead of using vacuum cleaner belts for the hinges, I will use heavy duty electrical zip ties. Keep in mind that you can make this with three sides, about 6 foot tall, throw another quilt over the top and make an awesome recording booth for under $15.00 if you already have blankets or quilts.
Last edited by MagicMan on January 16th, 2018, 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

MM, we appreciate your help, but please refrain from posting images.

We have many visually impaired people on and/or browsing the forums for whom pictures are difficult to or not at all readable.
Also, there are still plenty of people out there who access our forums with very slow internet connections and/or download limits.
We want to keep our forums as accessible for as many people as possible.

Feel free to upload your photos somewhere and post links to them; this way people can choose if they follow the links and have a look.
Thanks!
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
MagicMan

Post by MagicMan »

Not a problem at all. I will edit the post, remove the pictures and apply the links. As far as the slow internet connections, that must be awful. Audio files are about 10 to 40 times larger then pictures. That would drive me crazy! :shock:
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Thanks! :thumbs:

We hear ever so often from people who access our forums/homepage through computers at public libraries, which are notoriously slow. I would guess that they don't allow large audio downloads to begin with.

At home, well... you just let the download run in the background while you're... playing tetris. Or make dinner. Or watch "real" TV... :wink:
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
MagicMan

Post by MagicMan »

I guess most people that have high speed internet access are spoiled, myself included. The changes have been made. :wink:
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

Thanks for that, MagicMan; I've been looking for some way to hang up an old duvet behind my microphone, and there's a project in my garden that's calling out for some of these pipes and connectors. What are they sold as? ... so I can look in the right sort of DIY store.

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
MagicMan

Post by MagicMan »

In the USA, they are referred to as PVC Pipe and are used for pluming in houses as well as irrigation. Any rigid plastic pipe will work and you really do not need to go above a 1.5 inch diameter. (I think some roman figured out the strength of cylinders a few years back. :wink: ) I can not supply you with a link as I have already been warned that this community admin team considers this type of link spam.

If you shoot me a PM, I will point you in the right direction that will provide you with more information. If you have any questions, I will do what I can to answer them and if you give me your location in the PM, I will see who may distribute the pipe that will work in your area.
Cori

Post by Cori »

An indoor alternative that I used for some years, is the frame from a camping/canvas wardrobe. They come with fairly light-weight poles, and with a bit of ingenuity can be reconfigured from the original rectangle as desired.
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
MagicMan

Post by MagicMan »

Cori wrote: January 16th, 2018, 11:33 am An indoor alternative that I used for some years, is the frame from a camping/canvas wardrobe. They come with fairly light-weight poles, and with a bit of ingenuity can be reconfigured from the original rectangle as desired.
That is a great idea. The tips I plan on posting here will mostly consist of the cheapest way of achieving professional result for the lowest amount of money or what someone may have laying around the house that can be used for free. That is where your suggestion would come into play. If you already have it, why not recycle it and use it for a greater purpose.

I have built entire sound stages out of pvc pipe and heavy moving blankets. I recently did a mic comparison test recording in a common untreated room verses the system I have posted about. The results are amazing.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

A suitably sized cardboard box lined with a carpet sample and stuffed with a throw pillow set behind the mic also works quite well to dampen reverb, but I must admit that yours looks much more professional. :) PVC pipe is great stuff for all kinds of projects and is inexpensive. It's available at any do-it-yourself home improvement store or online.
Jo
MagicMan

Post by MagicMan »

Hey Jo, I also use pvc pipe to build mic stands/booms. The one attached to this link was made for a group that sat in a circle. They played bluegrass and someone would have to be dedicated to hold the mic when they were not playing. You can alter the plans to make it fit your desk or anything you may need to keep your mic placement in the proper range.