How To Stop/Reduce Mouth Clicks & Lip Smacks.

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
MagicMan

Post by MagicMan »

There are so many myths as well as remadies floating around the www concerning how to stop/reduce mouth noise/lip smacks and mouth clicks. I have long taught that applying a little bit of Vicks Vapor Rub below your nose, is a great way to control breathing that will/can be picked up by your mic. This trick has been around for decades and is used often in studios.

Last week someone shot me an email and turned me on to Biotène Dry Mouth Oral Rinse. So I picked some up and was amazed! It was the difference between nite and day. It states it will last for 4 hrs and it did. I had no idea that some medications will in fact cause dry mouth as a side effect. If you try it, please let me know if it worked for you as well. :D
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I've edited your post and removed the links - I'm sure you didn't mean it but in fact it's spamming - we are a google high rating web-site and people try to get links onto our site regularly and are deregistered.
However
from personal experience medication that causes dry mouth also leads to damaged teeth - and is not safe to use for "cosmetic" purposes . So I'd strongly suggest not using anything like that.

Anne

EDIT - on further investigation , I see that Biotene is designed to cure dry mouth not clear up "excess saliva" so it's probably OK to use
MagicMan

Post by MagicMan »

I do apologize as I had no idea I was spamming, as I do not own or make any money from anyone clicking the links I provided. I simply included them as we have such a diverse membership all over this world and some may have never heard of these products. As far as trying what I suggested, I recommend it 100%. It will make a great difference 99.9% of the time. :thumbs:
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

For more reading on this topic, here are some other threads:

Eliminating annoying mouth noises?
Dry mouth while reading. What to do?

I'm sure there are others out there, too. :)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
MagicMan

Post by MagicMan »

Thanks for adding additional information. We can never get to much advice on how to produce a better quality audio file. :thumbs: :mrgreen: :thumbs:
MagicMan

Post by MagicMan »

annise wrote: January 10th, 2018, 2:24 pmEDIT - on further investigation , I see that Biotene is designed to cure dry mouth not clear up "excess saliva" so it's probably OK to use
Thank you. I do really try and give solid advice. But I am also human and I do make mistakes.
bluechien

Post by bluechien »

MagicMan wrote: January 10th, 2018, 8:25 am There are so many myths as well as remadies floating around the www concerning how to stop/reduce mouth noise/lip smacks and mouth clicks. I have long taught that applying a little bit of Vicks Vapor Rub below your nose, is a great way to control breathing that will/can be picked up by your mic. This trick has been around for decades and is used often in studios.
Thank you for the Vicks tip. I noticed that helped when I had a cold but didn't think to try it after!
Eva D
If we do meet again, why, we shall smile;
If not, why then, this parting was well made.
MagicMan

Post by MagicMan »

bluechien wrote: January 10th, 2018, 5:14 pmThank you for the Vicks tip. I noticed that helped when I had a cold but didn't think to try it after!
You are very welcome. I have been doing it for decades. I only know about it because someone told me way back when! I am old enough to have experienced that thing my Mother used to put on my cuts, only after I made her promise she would blow on it. LOL. I tried to spell it but it did not come up. Ma-Cure-A-Crome or something to that effect. I remember it had a cross and scull bones on the bottle. I just remember it stung like , well, you know.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Mercurochrome down here :D , I suppose it's less popular nowadays because the Mercur bit stood for mercury but it was very satisfactory to have a visible wound dressing.

Anne
MagicMan

Post by MagicMan »

annise wrote: January 10th, 2018, 6:02 pm Mercurochrome down here :D , I suppose it's less popular nowadays because the Mercur bit stood for mercury but it was very satisfactory to have a visible wound dressing.

Anne
Yep, that's what it was. As soon as I read your post, I cringed! I am the baby out of four boys, my Mother had a bottle of that stuff hanging around my neck. :lol: