How To Use Audacity 2.1.3 And Higher.

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
MagicMan

Post by MagicMan »

This is a video series I put together customized for LibriVox specification. If you have any questions or would like more details concerning Audacity, just let me know.

1. How to download and install Audacity.
2. How to set your recording format.
3. How to save your project before editing.
4. How to customize the Audacity layout.
5. How to use noise reduction.
6. How to check your output level using ReplayGain and MP3Gain to avoid clipping.
7. How to add or remove plugins/effects from the plugin folder within Audacity.
8. How to download & install the hot key xml file to meet LibriVox audio requirements. You will be able to apply a 80HZ high pass filter, analyze your file using ReplayGain, adjust your file using the Amplify plugin, check your noise floor, apply noise reduction if needed, apply the dc offset filter and start the export process for your file, in less then 60 seconds.
9. How to customize the plugins/effects in Audacity.
Last edited by MagicMan on January 4th, 2018, 8:45 pm, edited 4 times in total.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Cool!

Metadata isn't required anymore (it used to be, but that changed a couple years ago), so you can probably scratch that one off your to-do list. :)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
MagicMan

Post by MagicMan »

TriciaG wrote: January 4th, 2018, 6:16 pmCool! Metadata isn't required anymore (it used to be, but that changed a couple years ago), so you can probably scratch that one off your to-do list. :)
Cool. I thought I read in one of the "Readers Needed" forum that if you wanted to, you could place "Read by Or Narrated by" in the comments field with the metadata window in Audacity. It could have been a old post. p.s. I made number 9 just for you, working off your conversation in this post. It shows how to go into the plugin folder in Audacity, and remove the plugins 99% of LibriVox members will probably never use.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

MagicMan wrote: January 4th, 2018, 6:27 pm
TriciaG wrote: January 4th, 2018, 6:16 pmCool! Metadata isn't required anymore (it used to be, but that changed a couple years ago), so you can probably scratch that one off your to-do list. :)
Cool. I thought I read in one of the "Readers Needed" forum that if you wanted to, you could place "Read by Or Narrated by" in the comments field with the metadata window in Audacity. p.s. I made number 9 just for you, working off your conversation in this post.
You can, I suppose, but I didn't think it was posted anywhere. It's probably less of a suggestion now if people aren't adding any metadata at all. Back when it needed to be added, it'd make sense to say, "and while you're at it, you can add yourself to the metadata..." but it makes less sense now, I think.

And yeah, I saw the effects thing on your list and wondered if you got the idea from my conversation with April! :lol:
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine