New Forums Help Thread

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

mightyfelix wrote: January 5th, 2018, 10:28 am This looks great, but it's not showing up in my settings.
The plugin would need to be installed to the forum by the sysadmin; it's not currently available on our forum.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Does that mean that if I subscribe to a topic and also bookmark it and somebody quotes me, I'll get three notifications? :hmm:
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

Probably.

I do get two notifications for PM :)
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

MagicMan wrote: January 5th, 2018, 10:08 am
MaryAnnSpiegel wrote: January 5th, 2018, 7:23 am OK, question for all you forum experts out there.

I used to get an e-mail notification when there was a new post to a thread I had subscribed to. ONE e-mail. Just one, only one, no matter how many people posted while I was away. Then once I visited said forum, I would get an e-mail notification the next time someone posted.

Since the upgrade, I am getting multiple e-mail notifications for the same forum.

I may very well have changed something in my user control panel which is causing this, but I can't figure out what I've done . . . or more importantly, how to stop the multiple e-mails.

Ideas?

MaryAnn
I got a few email twice when the board first went back on line for about 5 hrs. Now I only get the one email in till I visit that forum as you mentioned. When was the last time you received 2? As far as your options as a member, all you can do is check or uncheck the box concerning notifications by e-mail box. As a user, it is impossible for you to mess up this notification system concerning double e-mails being sent. :D
TriciaG wrote: January 5th, 2018, 10:50 am Are some notifications when someone QUOTED you vs. it just being more posts in your subscribed thread?

Here are options you can turn on or off for the little notification bell at the top, and for email: ucp.php?i=ucp_notifications&mode=notification_options One of them is for when someone quotes you - which is redundant if you're subscribed to the thread already. :)

EDIT: Also there's an option for being notified if someone posts in a thread you've bookmarked. If you're also subscribed to it, you'll get 2 notifications.
Hmmm. :hmm: The only two boxes I have checked are "e-mail" for "when someone replies to a topic to which you are subscribed" and "when someone creates a topic in a forum to which you are subscribed."

Since I last visited this thread, I have received 9 e-mails alerting me to of new posts, and when I visited the topic, there were 9 new posts. So it does seem that I am getting an e-mail every time someone posts.

{This is happening in other threads I'm subscribed to as well}
MaryAnn
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

tovarisch wrote: January 5th, 2018, 11:16 am Does that mean that if I subscribe to a topic and also bookmark it and somebody quotes me, I'll get three notifications? :hmm:
I don't think so... At least, I haven't been so far. I just get the notification that there's been activity in the thread I'm watching.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

TriciaG wrote: January 5th, 2018, 10:52 am
mightyfelix wrote: January 5th, 2018, 10:28 am This looks great, but it's not showing up in my settings.
The plugin would need to be installed to the forum by the sysadmin; it's not currently available on our forum.
Oh, I was under the impression that it had been. My apologies.
MagicMan

Post by MagicMan »

mightyfelix wrote: January 5th, 2018, 10:28 am
MagicMan wrote: January 5th, 2018, 6:08 am

EDIT: This option is set from the members control panel. I also just installed a plugin that allows the user to increase the fonts up to 400%. Again, this is listed as a option for each member in their "Board Preferences".

This looks great, but it's not showing up in my settings.
That is my community, not LibirVox. I was just showing the admins what it would look like. Sorry if I mislead you.
MagicMan

Post by MagicMan »

mightyfelix wrote: January 5th, 2018, 11:32 am
tovarisch wrote: January 5th, 2018, 11:16 am Does that mean that if I subscribe to a topic and also bookmark it and somebody quotes me, I'll get three notifications? :hmm:
I don't think so... At least, I haven't been so far. I just get the notification that there's been activity in the thread I'm watching.
It does and I think that is where the confusion lies. If you have all the boxes checked under e-mail, then you will receive an e-mail every time that action occurs.

If I check every box under e-mail, I will receive 1 email for every action. So, in one thread that I am subscribed to, if someone makes a new post and someone quotes me, I will receive 2 emails.
Cori

Post by Cori »

tovarisch wrote:Does that mean that if I subscribe to a topic and also bookmark it and somebody quotes me, I'll get three notifications? :hmm:
Personally, I'd consider unticking the 'quote' and 'bookmark' emails, and just keep the 'subscribe' email? Reason being -- the quote thing is fun, but not essential; if I've bookmarked a thread, it's for quick reference when I'm on the site, so don't need an email when I'm not on the site; and this way, 'subscribe' covers the need to be externally alerted to activity.

The onsite notifications could be left active for all, for when one is on the site, that's just a list.

EDITED TO ADD: I'd recommend everyone take a quick look at their settings, whether or not you want emails, because a couple of options are new with the forum change, so it's good to make sure you're still getting alerted in the way you prefer to the events you're interested in.
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
wib66

Post by wib66 »

I seem to be getting notifications for every project that is live since the change over. Keep going to my mail box to find it full of messages and maybe only one or two are for projects I am involved with.

Help needed please.
Michele
When you're having what you feel like is a 'bad day' and then someone comes along out of nowhere and extends to you the simplest of kind gestures, you feel it so deeply within your heart.” ―Miya Yamanouchi
MagicMan

Post by MagicMan »

wib66 wrote: January 7th, 2018, 8:33 am I seem to be getting notifications for every project that is live since the change over. Keep going to my mail box to find it full of messages and maybe only one or two are for projects I am involved with.

Help needed please.
Cori wrote: January 5th, 2018, 2:31 pm
tovarisch wrote:Does that mean that if I subscribe to a topic and also bookmark it and somebody quotes me, I'll get three notifications? :hmm:
Personally, I'd consider unticking the 'quote' and 'bookmark' emails, and just keep the 'subscribe' email? Reason being -- the quote thing is fun, but not essential; if I've bookmarked a thread, it's for quick reference when I'm on the site, so don't need an email when I'm not on the site; and this way, 'subscribe' covers the need to be externally alerted to activity.

The onsite notifications could be left active for all, for when one is on the site, that's just a list.

EDITED TO ADD: I'd recommend everyone take a quick look at their settings, whether or not you want emails, because a couple of options are new with the forum change, so it's good to make sure you're still getting alerted in the way you prefer to the events you're interested in.
If you go to Cori's post above and click the link after you have logged in, it will take you to your own profile settings page for notifications. Uncheck each box you do not want to be notified about via email. This will stop this from happening.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Michele,

If what MagicMan suggested does not work, please post again. I have unticked everything except "e-mail" for "someone replies to a topic for which you are subscribed" and I am still getting an e-mail every time someone posts to a subscribed topic. Just now I had two e-mails for this topic - one for your question and one when MagicMan responded.

If we see (and document) other examples of funky stuff going on, it might give us a clue how to investigate . . .

MaryAnn
MagicMan

Post by MagicMan »

Hey guys, there are a few other things you need to do. Please watch this short video, (3min 9 secs) to see what steps you may need to take. I promise you, it is a very simple process, once you know the steps. :thumbs:
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

wib66 wrote: January 7th, 2018, 8:33 am I seem to be getting notifications for every project that is live since the change over. Keep going to my mail box to find it full of messages and maybe only one or two are for projects I am involved with.

Help needed please.
If a list helps better than a video:

* Check your notification settings as mentioned, by going here: ucp.php?i=ucp_notifications&mode=notification_options ("Notification" is the little bell and number in a red circle at the top of the forum.)

* If you don't want to be subscribed to every thread you post in, go here and make sure "Notify me upon replies by default" is set to NO. ucp.php?i=ucp_prefs&mode=post

* Go to your subscribed threads list and remove things you don't want notifications/emails for: ucp.php?i=ucp_main&mode=subscribed

* If you have set up so that you are emailed about threads you have bookmarked, you can change these bookmarked threads to get rid of ones you don't want here: ucp.php?i=ucp_main&mode=bookmarks
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
wib66

Post by wib66 »

thanks everyone have done all that so hopefully it should stop now will let you know if it doesn't
Michele
When you're having what you feel like is a 'bad day' and then someone comes along out of nowhere and extends to you the simplest of kind gestures, you feel it so deeply within your heart.” ―Miya Yamanouchi