New Forums Help Thread

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
MagicMan

Post by MagicMan »

carteki wrote: January 5th, 2018, 4:36 am
Availle wrote: January 5th, 2018, 3:11 am
carteki wrote: January 5th, 2018, 1:08 am One needed fix - Please can the MW (and all other links) open in a new tab?
That's not possible. In fact, opening links in the same tab/window is standard now.

You can workaround this by right-clicking the link and then selecting "open in a new tab".
AARGH ..
That is just plain annoying when it has worked for the 4 years that I've been on the forum.
This version of phpbb has hundreds of free plugins. This is what needs to be installed, in order for links to open in a new window. It works great on my board.

EDIT: This option is set from the members control panel. I also just installed a plugin that allows the user to increase the fonts up to 400%. Again, this is listed as a option for each member in their "Board Preferences".

Last edited by MagicMan on January 5th, 2018, 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I control-click as I'm a bit more a keyboard navigator. Yes, it definitely takes getting used to. For my own BC/DPL projects, I rarely use the BC Admin link anyway since I have them bookmarked, as I explained in another post. I name it such as "Watergate Report 2" and then when I need to get to the MW, I open a new tab and start to type "Watergat...." into the URL bar, and it auto-suggests. Hit Enter (or down arrow then Enter), and I'm in the MW.

I don't believe the Quick Links can be removed from the hamburger menu on the left in this "skin". My workaround is that I have a row of bookmark links in my browser for things I use most often ("LV new posts" is my most used one).
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

mightyfelix wrote: January 4th, 2018, 9:10 pm I really like the little banner that shows up on the right side when someone who made a post is online.
There used to be a small green dot under the user's name. It was less noticeable/intrusive (depending on your opinion of it). ;)

Don't trust it 100%. Just because I'm logged in doesn't mean I'm active. I might be shoveling the driveway or running errands or having a deep discussion with Hubby. LOL!
DACSoft

Post by DACSoft »

carteki wrote: January 5th, 2018, 4:36 am
Availle wrote: January 5th, 2018, 3:11 am
carteki wrote: January 5th, 2018, 1:08 am One needed fix - Please can the MW (and all other links) open in a new tab?
That's not possible. In fact, opening links in the same tab/window is standard now.

You can workaround this by right-clicking the link and then selecting "open in a new tab".
AARGH ..
That is just plain annoying when it has worked for the 4 years that I've been on the forum.
I agree that is annoying when "upgrades" reduce or remove existing functionality, either due to software design or installation decisions, causing an increase in time and effort of using or creating "workarounds." Which in turn takes members' focus away from the mission of the site of the recording and proof-listening of PD books.

Well, life is not a bed of roses. <sigh>

:)
Don
lannonx23

Post by lannonx23 »

TriciaG wrote: January 5th, 2018, 6:28 am Don't trust it 100%. Just because I'm logged in doesn't mean I'm active. I might be shoveling the driveway or running errands or having a deep discussion with Hubby. LOL!
I think the way it works is it looks at the time you last loaded a page on the forum, and as long as it's within some time after your most recent page load (5 minutes, 10 minutes, 30 minutes, something like that), it counts you as "online." So, it's less about being logged in and more about how recently you loaded a page.

But, I'm speculating to a point, so take it with a grain of salt. ;)
-Mindle Hastings
Catalog Page
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

lannonx23 wrote: January 5th, 2018, 7:02 am
I think the way it works is it looks at the time you last loaded a page on the forum, and as long as it's within some time after your most recent page load (5 minutes, 10 minutes, 30 minutes, something like that), it counts you as "online." So, it's less about being logged in and more about how recently you loaded a page.

But, I'm speculating to a point, so take it with a grain of salt. ;)
I think you're right. On the main page, where it lists active users, it says something like "Active within the last 5 minutes." And I remember the green dot, but I just like the look of the little banner.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

OK, question for all you forum experts out there.

I used to get an e-mail notification when there was a new post to a thread I had subscribed to. ONE e-mail. Just one, only one, no matter how many people posted while I was away. Then once I visited said forum, I would get an e-mail notification the next time someone posted.

Since the upgrade, I am getting multiple e-mail notifications for the same forum.

I may very well have changed something in my user control panel which is causing this, but I can't figure out what I've done . . . or more importantly, how to stop the multiple e-mails.

Ideas?

MaryAnn
carteki

Post by carteki »

So ... it's gone from a discrete green dot (which I knew about) to a "ONLINE" banner for the user (which for some reason is on the right not the left (but that's okay), but the formatting options have changed from being descriptive (URL, LIST etc.) to a random tiny image. Seriously - when does a tear drop = font colour? Now it is 2 steps to send a pm to the user, rather than just one.

Tricia - I'm old school - I don't use bookmarks. I know where everything is on the screen (or knew). I use short-cut keys where I can and try to keep my brain engaged rather than relying on technology to do the memory thing for me (although I've become lazy about phone numbers).
The BC Admin link is my usual "in" into the magic window, but I'll navigate the MW to the different projects if more than one needs opening.
The BC Admin link is EVEN MORE IMPORTANT when updating from a phone or tablet, because you can't access the list of projects on those devices and have to go to the front post of each thread separately (it's next to useless for anything more than inputting just the bare minimum of info). I may just disappear completely when I travel now.

Yes, I'm a crabby old woman who doesn't like change! Especially when it "dumbs down" the features.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

I like that there is now a formatting option for a bullet and a numbered list. And I think the teardrop is a drop of ink = color.
MaryAnn
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

carteki wrote: January 5th, 2018, 7:42 am The BC Admin link is EVEN MORE IMPORTANT when updating from a phone or tablet, because you can't access the list of projects on those devices and have to go to the front post of each thread separately (it's next to useless for anything more than inputting just the bare minimum of info). I may just disappear completely when I travel now.
I've never been able to update MW away from home. The one time I tried it, I accidentally renumbered everything and didn't realize what I'd done until hours later.
MagicMan

Post by MagicMan »

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote: January 5th, 2018, 7:23 am OK, question for all you forum experts out there.

I used to get an e-mail notification when there was a new post to a thread I had subscribed to. ONE e-mail. Just one, only one, no matter how many people posted while I was away. Then once I visited said forum, I would get an e-mail notification the next time someone posted.

Since the upgrade, I am getting multiple e-mail notifications for the same forum.

I may very well have changed something in my user control panel which is causing this, but I can't figure out what I've done . . . or more importantly, how to stop the multiple e-mails.

Ideas?

MaryAnn
I got a few email twice when the board first went back on line for about 5 hrs. Now I only get the one email in till I visit that forum as you mentioned. When was the last time you received 2? As far as your options as a member, all you can do is check or uncheck the box concerning notifications by e-mail box. As a user, it is impossible for you to mess up this notification system concerning double e-mails being sent. :D
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I've noticed you also get a notification now when someone quotes a post you made, even if you're not signed up for updates on that thread. I don't know if that was an option before, but I kind of like it.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

MagicMan wrote: January 5th, 2018, 6:08 am

EDIT: This option is set from the members control panel. I also just installed a plugin that allows the user to increase the fonts up to 400%. Again, this is listed as a option for each member in their "Board Preferences".

This looks great, but it's not showing up in my settings.
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

You probably need to install some plug-ins, as MagicMan suggested.
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote: January 5th, 2018, 7:23 am OK, question for all you forum experts out there.

Ideas?

MaryAnn
Are some notifications when someone QUOTED you vs. it just being more posts in your subscribed thread?

Here are options you can turn on or off for the little notification bell at the top, and for email: ucp.php?i=ucp_notifications&mode=notification_options One of them is for when someone quotes you - which is redundant if you're subscribed to the thread already. :)

EDIT: Also there's an option for being notified if someone posts in a thread you've bookmarked. If you're also subscribed to it, you'll get 2 notifications.