New Forums Help Thread

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

Sue Anderson wrote: January 13th, 2018, 9:31 am This is what's showing on my computer: Users browsing this forum: Sue Anderson and 7 guests
That is normal; I can see myself, too :).
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

The catalog issue (not being able to get to catalog pages) seems to either have resolved itself or been fixed.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

Sue Anderson wrote: January 13th, 2018, 9:31 am Tricia,
This is what's showing on my computer: Users browsing this forum: Sue Anderson and 7 guests
Sue, I had initially wondered about the same thing, as I also hide my online status. (Just because my computer is often left on LV when I've gone off to do other things, so it would say that I'm here when I'm not!)

After a few days of puzzled exploration, I realized that my name is showing in italics, while all the other names I see are in regular type.

Like this:
Users browsing this forum: AustenAlcott145, commonsparrow3, kayray, Kitty, TriciaG, and 3 guests
So I have speculated that the italics are an indication that my user name is not visible to anyone except me. Though why it thinks that I need to be told that I am online is a bit ridiculous. Of course I know I'm online!

On second thought, maybe there is a reason for this. I might have logged out and not realized it. So showing me my own name to assure me I'm logged in might make sense.

I'm generally not very good at navigating changes in the appearance and layout of things on the computer, so I'm rather chirked that I figured this one out.

I'm still trying to figure out whatever happened to the "view your posts" link that used to be in the upper right corner, which would take me to all the project threads I'm involved in. Hopefully I'll figure that out, too, before too long!
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

commonsparrow3 wrote: January 13th, 2018, 10:39 am I'm still trying to figure out whatever happened to the "view your posts" link that used to be in the upper right corner, which would take me to all the project threads I'm involved in. Hopefully I'll figure that out, too, before too long!
Is that the one you are looking for? :

commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

moniaqua wrote: January 13th, 2018, 10:57 amIs that the one you are looking for? :
Yes! Thank you, Monika!
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

You're welcome :)
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Thanks Monika and Maria for your added info on how the "hide on-line status" function works in this new edition of the forum. In the old format, one's name did not show on one's own computer, if one had chosen to hide one's on-line status. I was sort of stewing about it, so I'm glad I finally asked and found out what was up.

Every change in format is just that, something to get used to. I was around LibriVox when the format was changed once before, and I remember being startled at seeing an added function which allowed one to categorize one's PM's by whether they were received from "friends" or"enemies." I complained publicly about that and was told that it was just something "included in the open source software." I was also told there were no enemies on LibriVox, only friends. I see in the new format we still retain the friends vs. foes function. And I think we have also retained the basic friendliness of people here at LibriVox.
linny

Post by linny »

aradlaw wrote: January 11th, 2018, 9:17 pm One difference from the old forum I haven't got used to yet, when clicking the BC Admin link to the MW, the MW opens in the same tab, if you click back the from the MW the libriVox.org main page opens. The old forum would open the MW in a new tab. :?
I too find this challenging. It also happens when you click on the link for the text. Is there a way we can change our browser settings to always open a new tab?
MagicMan

Post by MagicMan »

linny wrote: January 15th, 2018, 9:37 am
aradlaw wrote: January 11th, 2018, 9:17 pm One difference from the old forum I haven't got used to yet, when clicking the BC Admin link to the MW, the MW opens in the same tab, if you click back the from the MW the libriVox.org main page opens. The old forum would open the MW in a new tab. :?
I too find this challenging. It also happens when you click on the link for the text. Is there a way we can change our browser settings to always open a new tab?
Google "how to set my browser to open any link in a new window". I freaked all my doctors out when I went in to have both my knees replaced. I practiced for weeks. I asked them questions only a PHD would know. I love Google.
linny

Post by linny »

Thanks for the reply MagicMan. Unfortunately, that setting was already selected. I checked the links in a couple of other sites I use frequently. Some of the time it opens a new tab and other times it replaces my original page. <shrug> Oh well. I'll eventually get used to right clicking everything here.
carteki

Post by carteki »

linny wrote: January 15th, 2018, 10:50 am Thanks for the reply MagicMan. Unfortunately, that setting was already selected. I checked the links in a couple of other sites I use frequently. Some of the time it opens a new tab and other times it replaces my original page. <shrug> Oh well. I'll eventually get used to right clicking everything here.
Something that has been complained about alot. I got a sarky message from an admin saying "right click and open in a new tab". Doesn't work well on mobile though and it is impossible to navigate the MW on mobile so going through the first post is the best option. Tried again this weekend while I was away. I should just ignore BC duties while travelling next time.

The "edited" post message is now above the signature making the signature a joke.
text....

edited x times by carteki. Last edit on yy.

Kim
My projects
Doesn't affect admin's though so don't expect any changes soon.
Anon
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

You know , I would just like to point out that as an admin , and with the covers, I use that more than most people. Yes, it was handy to have , and I curse under my breath everytime I forget, but at the moment that's how it is. And I cope.
Part of being an admin is coping with things, whether they be software or people or people emailing with free advice or whatever

Anne
MagicMan

Post by MagicMan »

carteki wrote: January 16th, 2018, 3:42 am
linny wrote: January 15th, 2018, 10:50 am Thanks for the reply MagicMan. Unfortunately, that setting was already selected. I checked the links in a couple of other sites I use frequently. Some of the time it opens a new tab and other times it replaces my original page. <shrug> Oh well. I'll eventually get used to right clicking everything here.
Something that has been complained about alot. I got a sarky message from an admin saying "right click and open in a new tab". Doesn't work well on mobile though and it is impossible to navigate the MW on mobile so going through the first post is the best option. Tried again this weekend while I was away. I should just ignore BC duties while travelling next time.

The "edited" post message is now above the signature making the signature a joke.
text....

edited x times by carteki. Last edit on yy.

Kim
My projects
Doesn't affect admin's though so don't expect any changes soon.
Anon
It seems that this feature is really being missed. I have already offered the solution. It take less then 2 min to install this feature into the core system of this version of phpbb and I have it installed in my own community forum. It must be done by the system admin. 1. Download "Open Link In New Window" plugin and unzip. 2. Open any ftp program and upload unzipped plugin into the ext folder in phpbb. I use filezilla. That's it, your done. Any member can now choose to make this an option in their own UCP, (User Control Panel) by simply selecting it as an option. Please see this post I made on Jan 5th explaining how to do this.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Okay, here comes some snark from an admin, since apparently we're good at that.

Believe it or not, admins are not sitting in some dark corner inventing ways to make life more miserable for others. "Hey! Let's take away X function from the forums! Won't that be a real treat for the lowly peons who can't do anything about it! How fun! Now, what other sadistic change can we make?"

There are reasons we haven't fixed some things or installed some third-party plugin that will be supported for who knows how short a time or may cause issues later on. We are doing the best we can with the tools and resources we have. Have we made all these reasons public? No, but that isn't because we're on a power trip.

Remarks such as "oh, but it doesn't affect the admins, so don't expect a fix" are NOT NICE. I'm calling it out. If you feel that an admin has been NOT NICE to you, report it so the other admins can assess and resolve the situation. But don't be un-LibriVoxy as some sort of retaliation.

Let's get back to our main purpose: making audiobooks, and our #1 forum rule: be nice.

Kim - I have never heard talk about or seen an "edited XX times in total by YY user" edit note except on really old posts such as THIS ONE, and in posts where the editor wrote in a reason for editing the post, like where I tried that out HERE. Could you please link to one that you've edited and that is bothering you? A direct link to the post is on that little piece of paper icon to the left of the poster's name in the post header. Thank you!
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
MagicMan

Post by MagicMan »

TriciaG wrote: January 16th, 2018, 6:34 am Okay, here comes some snark from an admin, since apparently we're good at that. There are reasons we haven't fixed some things or installed some third-party plugin that will be supported for who knows how short a time or may cause issues later on. Thank you!
phpbb is no different then WordPress. WordPress owns 29% of the internet as of 2018. Every 4th, and getting very close to every 3rd website you visit is made using WordPress as the CMS. (Content Management System). phpbb is the largest provider of free public community software and their plugin developers make a living providing forum owners with reliable plugins. Just as WordPress plugin developers, they have paid as well as free plugins to help support their platforms. It is a requirement.

Now, as far as the link plugin issue goes, this developer is highly regarded for their work, they have a 100% positive track record for supporting their work and is 100% bug free for the versions they are designed to work with. As with all plugin developers, they talk with each other, just as people who record free audio books talk to each other. If one developer decides to move off of or away from their plugin, they will make arrangements to have their work taken over by competent people, just like LibriVox does.