New Forums Help Thread

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Thanks to everyone who was involved in designing and implementing the new upgrade. Most of the functionality I use is intact and enhanced. That which is not enhanced is still ok...just requires a learning curve ...sort of like when I joined up. As new tech roll-outs go, this one was not too bad.

I think the new look is crisper and cleaner, and if the color scheme is a bit boring (an observation I do not make--since I never know if mauve and puce work with chartreuse or paisley and plaid make one appear mad)...perhaps it helps focus attention on the messaging instead of the packaging.

Ever forward

Philip
Back after 8/15. In the hands of the medicos.
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

I wonder if it's possible to make the indicator of the thread in which one's participated a bit larger or another color? Currently it's a tiny red star with a white outline that gets placed on the other thread icon, in the top right corner. When the thread contains unread items, the entire icon is red, so the star gets lost (at least to my eyes). If if were possible to go back to that fat black dot... :hmm:
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
MagicMan

Post by MagicMan »

Glad to help! :9:
plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

there used to be a way to move up and down the list of threads without going back out to the main forum, with "next topic" and "previous topic" I think the links said.
is that functionality still available? I'm not finding it yet...
'whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong.' -Oscar Wilde
plaidsicle.blogspot.com
MagicMan

Post by MagicMan »

If you look on the bottom left hand side of each forum, your will see a link that says "Back to Whatever Forum You Are In". Is that what your are looking for? It will keep you in that forum without going back to the main forum.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

plaidsicle wrote: January 10th, 2018, 11:15 am there used to be a way to move up and down the list of threads without going back out to the main forum, with "next topic" and "previous topic" I think the links said.
is that functionality still available? I'm not finding it yet...
I don't believe so.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

One difference from the old forum I haven't got used to yet, when clicking the BC Admin link to the MW, the MW opens in the same tab, if you click back the from the MW the libriVox.org main page opens. The old forum would open the MW in a new tab. :?
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

aradlaw wrote: January 11th, 2018, 9:17 pm One difference from the old forum I haven't got used to yet, when clicking the BC Admin link to the MW, the MW opens in the same tab, if you click back the from the MW the libriVox.org main page opens. The old forum would open the MW in a new tab. :?
I do find this an annoyance. Sure, we can right click and select the option, but that triples the clicks needed to navigate frequently used features. Other things are also now hidden under menus, like bookmarking a topic, and even accessing the user control panel. I suppose it all looks neater, but the result is actual functionality for the forum has become less convenient, maybe less intuitive, at least for me.

The huge status buttons on the bookmark list I ugly and offer no advantage to the smaller icons, nor do the ribbons indicating online presence seem to be an improvement to me, and moving things from left side to right side lacks a rationale that I can understand -- definitely not the way my eyes scan the page. These latter are just my pet peeves and I'll get used to them. I try to pretend I'm brand new to the forums and don't know any better. That helps. :lol:
~ Larry
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Today there is a problem with the catalog. When I try to access a book, I get this message:

We weren't able to find that project. You must include either the Project Id or the Project Slug (i.e., "tom_sawyer_by_mark_twain" , without any other link info)

------------------------

Also, the option to remain anonymous when posting doesn't seem to work.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Sue Anderson wrote: January 13th, 2018, 8:36 am Today there is a problem with the catalog. When I try to access a book, I get this message:

We weren't able to find that project. You must include either the Project Id or the Project Slug (i.e., "tom_sawyer_by_mark_twain" , without any other link info)

------------------------

Also, the option to remain anonymous when posting doesn't seem to work.
The catalog problem has just been noticed by others. I see Artom is online; hopefully he'll figure it out.

The option to remain anonymous when posting? You don't have an "Online" banner on the right side of your post where your personal info is. So that part is working. There never was a way to post anonymously other than hiding your online status.
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

TriciaG wrote: January 13th, 2018, 8:39 am

The option to remain anonymous when posting? You don't have an "Online" banner on the right side of your post where your personal info is. So that part is working. There never was a way to post anonymously other than hiding your online status.
Hide Online Status--that's what I was referring to (sorry I didn't express myself more precisely); the ability to hide one's online status is not working.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

You aren't showing as online, so it's working. :)
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Tricia,
This is what's showing on my computer: Users browsing this forum: Sue Anderson and 7 guests
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Must just be showing for you. Here's what I see when I click on "Who's Online":

viewonline.php

And here's what I see on the side of the forum posts:
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Tricia, Thanks for checking. :) Who knows, maybe my computer is just trying to assure me of my existence . . .