[RESOLVED] Why is the Beast of Averoigne in the PD?

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Timothy Ferguson

Post by Timothy Ferguson »

I love the Averoigne stories by Clark Ashton Smith, and would like to record them. I see we have one in the collection.

What I can't understand is how its in the PD. It was first published in Weird Tales in May 1933. Wikisource says that volume has a copyright renewal of 1961-1-25 © Blanchard Press, Inc. (R269993).

Does this means its copyright just extended for another 28 years and I can go hunting CAS sources, or is this in the Librivox database in error?
My occasional blog is Games from Folktales
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

We'd have to look but you may be right - we don't trust wikisource particularly either for or against. For post 1922 projects we mainly insist on clearance by PG. The etext link on the entry was http://www.classichorrorstories.com/texts/beast.txt which seems to be dead. Further investigation will be needed.

Anne
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

I’m no expert, but my understanding is if the copyright was renewed in 1961, the copyright expires 95 years after original publication, which would be 2028.
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I haven't time at present for a complete hunt , I'm asking for help in checking wikisource is correct - it certainly has not been in other PD cases.
Anne
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

This has been researched and found to definitely be still under copyright. It has been removed from the LV catalog.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine