Quotes Within Text

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
smturner639

Post by smturner639 »

Hello,

I was hoping some of you with experience could advise on the best way to approach quotes within text. Should it be "quote" read quote "end quote" or should character voices be used? I'm not really comfortable with trying character voices really, I can do a few accents, but I don't want it to be silly either (if that makes sense!).

I appreciate your thoughts/feedback :hmm:

Kind Regards,
Suzanne
lannonx23

Post by lannonx23 »

Do you have an example? I know what you're asking, but it might be easier to address an example.
-Mindle Hastings
Catalog Page
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

If it's fiction, either read it fairly straight or do character voices if you're comfortable with them.

If it's nonfiction, it depends on the context also. Sometimes "quote/end quote" works well, especially when it's a longer passage. If it's just a word or two, it's hardly worth it.

Speak to your BC if you are asking about quotes in a group project. They can help with how they'd like it read. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
lurcherlover

Post by lurcherlover »

I've found that doing character voices is easier than you may think. You only need to change the voice slightly for it to be effective. So just a slight change in pitch or just a small difference in timbre will make it clear.

Peter
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

I think it highly depends on the text.
In a novelle I wouldn't do "quote beginning / quote end", I'd rather change voice - a little bit faster, a little bit slower, a little bit higher, a little bit lower in pitch. Accent if I can do it and the story fits.

In a scientific text or report I have never read the quotes directly, but the BC also never complained, so something must have been right :) I guess most times there is some anouncement (like "Mary said"), so if you make just a tiny pause after the quote it shows anyway.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I just make them asides usually especially when it's something like "he hit him with a knob knob (aside voice -a heavy club - normal voice ) and he fell down dead :D

Anne