Too new to start PLing? For 1-Minute Tests?

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
lannonx23

Post by lannonx23 »

I've only been on LibraVox since last night, but I realize that, as a reader that wants my stuff proofed, it would be nice to do some proof listening as well, to keep the karma well balanced. Especially as a newbie who hasn't had his 1-minute test proofed yet, I especially feel for the other new users that haven't had their 1-minute tests PLed.

So, my question is--how early is too early to start proof listening? Is there a different standard for proofing the 1-minute tests (as that seems to need more technical experience than I currently possess)? How would I go about getting to the point where I can start proofing 1-minute tests and doing general PL work?

Thanks very much for the input!
-Mindle Hastings
Catalog Page
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I'd say, don't work on 1-minute tests. If you really want to post a response, you could comment on them if you like, but you may want to say something like, "someone will come along with a formal check / more instruction / suggestions on how to fix this" rather than telling someone their recording is perfect when it might have technical issues. ;)

You're welcome to start proof-listening regular projects. Here's a wiki page to look at, and at the bottom is a link to tips and a quiz to help you along. http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?titl ... -listeners
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

IMHO, you need to be well aware of what the accepted LibriVox (yes, it's spelled with two letters 'i', and no 'a') audio is, and how to accomplish that, in order to review other newbies' 1-minute test recordings and provide them with advice (the latter portion is usually expected if it's not "PL OK"). If you feel up to it, sure, go for it.

It's never too early to do PL work for a real project. Make sure to talk to the project's BC and MC and also to get familiar with our PL levels and corresponding requirements.

ETA: Tricia replied while I was typing mine up...
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

P.S. I've been a bit remiss at working on test checking lately. It takes a lot out of me. :oops: I'll work on some more this evening (in about 3 hours or so) if no one else has gotten to them.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
lannonx23

Post by lannonx23 »

Hi, Tricia! Yeah, that makes sense about the 1-minute tests. Thanks for the link to the tips and quiz! I'll definitely look through that before I start proof listening.

Tovarisch, haha, that misspelling is quite embarrassing! My head knew it, but my fingers did not. I'll get them trained to type LibriVox right soon enough. ;) Thanks for the correction! Your recommendation sounds solid. I'll try to get onto some proof listening soon, but I'll probably wait a bit to get familiar before I start saying anything about 1-minute tests.

Thank you both!
-Mindle Hastings
Catalog Page
lurcherlover

Post by lurcherlover »

Hope I'm not butting in and talking gibberish - but you need to record some material yourself first and then PL (Proof Listen) it and make improvements to the reading and the technical standard of the recording. Then you will have learnt and taught yourself a hell of a lot. Be your own worst critic and you will be much sought after on Librivox. (Nearly spelt it Libryvocks ...)

Just an idea ...

Peter (Lurcherlover).
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

that's not the case . We have always had proof listeners who do not read. I myself PLed for a long time without having read anything and it didn't make me a worse PLer.
I would not suggest checking the tests for a bit though.

Anne
MagicMan

Post by MagicMan »

annise wrote:that's not the case . We have always had proof listeners who do not read. I myself PLed for a long time without having read anything and it didn't make me a worse PLer. I would not suggest checking the tests for a bit though. Anne
Hello Anne, I agree with you 100% as far as PLing without recording. I teach people how to meet the requirements for audio book concerning the ACX. I did this for 18 months before I recorded my first audio book.
Last edited by MagicMan on December 23rd, 2017, 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

lurcherlover wrote:Hope I'm not butting in and talking gibberish - but you need to record some material yourself first and then PL (Proof Listen)
Actually - no, I don't think so.

I think it is a very good idea to have the 1-minute-test read before PLing, just to proof that the specs are known. And you must be able to explain the technical details so that the readers can fix their files if necessary. But else someone might not like to read, but listens to books very frequently, than he or she still can give hints and listen. There are people out there who do both and usually they do one thing better - some I like more on PL, some I like more on reading, sometimes they do both equally well in my eyes. But I've got some really wonderful and helpful comments from PLs who as far as I know started reading later on.

I am happy about everyone who does PL on readings, because I don't really like listening; the only thing I do is the 1-minute-tests. I wasn't on too much lately to check 1-minute-tests, but New Year's Eve is coming, it would be a nice New Year's pledge to step in more often and just take a test that hasn't been answered yet.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

MagicMan wrote: I have made a video on how to check the technical specs for LibriVox. It is very easy to do. I will be working on the second video, concerning the listening side, later this morning. I would love your feedback.
I'm happy to in about 3 weeks but until then I'm only managing fleeting visits .

Anne
MagicMan

Post by MagicMan »

:thumbs: