Subscribe function broken

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

It's definitely working for me; I subscribed to four threads after posting here, and have just received a notification for the Chaucer Storybook.
Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
Roger

Post by Roger »

I have also not received any e-mail notifications of posts to any of the topics I am subscribed to (since the upgrade). (And have done all the tasks recommended.....)
-- Roger .... pushing on the door of life marked "pull"
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

For those of you not getting email notifications, can you check to see if the option is still enabled in your profile?
Under User Control Panel (top of each forum page), click Board Preferences. Under Edit Global Settings, check to see if "Notify me on new private messages" is set to Yes. Under Edit Posting Defaults, check if "Notify me upon replies by default" is set to Yes.*

If either of these changed from Yes to No during the upgrade -- and you didn't change it yourself -- I think that would be useful for our sysadmin to know. If they are both set to Yes and you're still not getting topic reply and PM notifications, that would also be good to know.

Also be sure you are logged into the forum when you open the threads you've subscribed to. You all probably already know this, but if you look at a thread while you're logged off, the software won't know you've been there and won't send you any further topic reply notifications. It is not always obvious that you've been logged off the forum.

*Disclaimer: I suspect that even if you have "notify me upon replies by default" set to No, manually subscribing to a thread (by clicking "Subscribe Topic") should still generate a notification for replies in that particular thread. But I don't know that for sure.
Laurie Anne
msfry

Post by msfry »

On my Edit Global Settings, everything was set to YES just as before, but oddly, Hide My Online Status was changed from No to Yes. I changed it back to No, and hit Submit. I even logged out of LV's system and logged back in. Since then, at least one message has posted to a forum I'm on, but I did not receive email notification.

When you are logged out, there is no Quote option showing in the posts, and if you hit Reply, it will take you to the Log In page. Also, in the upper menu it will say Log In (your forum name)
Roger

Post by Roger »

chocoholic wrote:Under User Control Panel (top of each forum page), click Board Preferences. Under Edit Global Settings, check to see if "Notify me on new private messages" is set to Yes. Under Edit Posting Defaults, check if "Notify me upon replies by default" is set to Yes.*
"Notify me on new private messages" was still set to Yes.
"Notify me upon replies by default" was set to No. I just now changed that to Yes. I will wait to see if notifications arrive, and will post my results here. 8-)

EDIT: I have subscribed to this thread to aid in testing, if that might be any help.
Cori

Post by Cori »

Well, I'll nudge this topic just to help, Roger. :)
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
Roger

Post by Roger »

Thanks Cori. So far (about 15 minutes) I have not received an e-mail notification. Will continue to monitor...

EDIT: Over half an hour, still nothing. :|

EDIT 2: Over 24 hours, multiple threads still subscribed to, with recent updates made, I have received no e-mails.
If I can be of any assistance in testing any of the admin troubleshooting, I would be glad to. I know admins are working on it, I am not trying to pester; just trying to help. :wink:
Last edited by Roger on November 30th, 2017, 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

My "Notify upon reply" is set to No, as it always was, and upon a PM to "Yes".

Roger, it is possible that if you look at the topic (while logged in) before the notification is sent, the notification is not going to be sent. Monitor without logging in if you can.
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
msfry

Post by msfry »

What is the difference between "subscribe topic" and "bookmark topic"?
I am guessing that "subscribe" has to do with email notifications, and anyone who posts to a forum is automatically subscribed, whereas "bookmark" just lists those forums in your Bookmarks and only if you so designate.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

msfry wrote:What is the difference between "subscribe topic" and "bookmark topic"?
I am guessing that "subscribe" has to do with email notifications, and anyone who posts to a forum is automatically subscribed, whereas "bookmark" just lists those forums in your Bookmarks and only if you so designate.
Yes, basically. The "auto-subscribe" is a forum preference, so if someone has it turned off, they don't get subscribed to the thread when posting. Other than that, your guess is correct.

faq.php#f8r0
School fiction: David Blaize
Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
msfry

Post by msfry »

As of tonight at 11 p.m., I still do not receive any email notifications or PM's. Any solutions yet?
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

I'm wondering if this has something to do with you being online while there is a pm / new post and thus - technically - able to read your pms as you get them?
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Don't think so Ava - I get emails for post and PMs while I'm on line. But I don't subscribe to things - I just turned the "email me when there is a post in a thread you've posted in" option on when people started having problems

Anne
Roger

Post by Roger »

For the record, I am in the same situation as Michele. I still have not received one e-mail notification of topics I'm subscribed to. (Including this one)
Just thought I'd keep you up to date. I'm sure admins are working on it. 8-)
bluechien

Post by bluechien »

I wonder if it might be helpful to the technical people if the people not getting notifications could share the last part of their email address? E.g. -- @hotmail.com, @gmail.com etc. Because occasionally a move to a new server or IP range will cause a sender to be blocked by certain mail servers where it wasn't before.
Eva D
If we do meet again, why, we shall smile;
If not, why then, this parting was well made.