Midi in LV readings?

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
bluechien

Post by bluechien »

If I personally sequence some music from a PD score in MuseScore using the included public domain soundfont, can the playback be used in a LV recording of a section designed to share this score with the reader? I'm sure this has come up before but I wasn't able to find a precedent. Thank you!
Eva D
If we do meet again, why, we shall smile;
If not, why then, this parting was well made.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I'm not sure it's ever been done, could you tell us a bit about the project ? Music and copright is something I'd be very hestitant about giving blanket permission for.

Anne
bluechien

Post by bluechien »

Thanks for responding, Anne. PM with details sent.
Eva D
bluechien

Post by bluechien »

Here is more information on how I'd like to do it:

a BCers book, which is PD, has a section with a score printed in it, intended to be part of the reading.

In this case I have MuseScore (free, PD software) using the default soundfonts included with MuseScore (also PD). I have manually entered this score into the software (this probably doesn't matter). In this case I hoped to export the resulting music (which is much better and more accurate than my singing) to a .wav file and include it within in the reading, with music and reading both of course released into the PD. It seems to me that this would be perfectly PD, but since I didn't find other posts on it I wanted to be clear on it before submitting the section.

Make sense?, and thoughts?
Eva D
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

bluechien wrote:Here is more information on how I'd like to do it:

a BCers book, which is PD, has a section with a score printed in it, intended to be part of the reading.

In this case I have MuseScore (free, PD software) using the default soundfonts included with MuseScore (also PD). I have manually entered this score into the software (this probably doesn't matter). In this case I hoped to export the resulting music (which is much better and more accurate than my singing) to a .wav file and include it within in the reading, with music and reading both of course released into the PD. It seems to me that this would be perfectly PD, but since I didn't find other posts on it I wanted to be clear on it before submitting the section.

Make sense?, and thoughts?
Here is a thought: MuseScore is not technically "PD software." As a matter of fact, there is no "PD software", AFAICT. All software is copyrighted. It's important not to confuse "free" and "Public Domain."

Here is a quote from Google (in turn from Wikipedia):
MuseScore is a free scorewriter for Windows, macOS, and Linux, comparable to Finale and Sibelius, supporting a wide variety of file formats and input methods. It is released as free and open-source software under the GNU General Public License. Wikipedia
Here you have a license, GNU GPL. Under it you probably, using that software, may (as in "allowed to") create any work and release it in Public Domain. Just like we use Audacity, which is free, although copyrighted.

It does not, hopefully, change your process or the result. You don't have to mention MuseScore (like we don't mention Audacity in our recordings), but if you do, please don't claim that it (MuseScore) is PD.

Just to keep the terminology straight...
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
bluechien

Post by bluechien »

Thanks for clarifying, Tovarich. :thumbs:
Eva D
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

If a similar instance helps provide precedent, there was a chapter in one of my projects which included the bugle calls used in an army camp, with the music for each bugle call written out. Since I don't play the bugle, I created the bugle calls using computer software, and edited the calls into the chapter at the appropriate points in the reading. I used a program called Anvil Studio, which offers free software for a simple project, as well as assorted paid add-ons if you want to do more complex things. I used the free version for the brief bugle calls. My MC, icequeen, saw no objections to doing this. (Reference this post in our project thread).
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

We are also currently doing this for volume 2 of J.S. Bach, which includes quite a lot of musical notations. There have been several people involved in setting it up, although some had to drop out because it wasn't PD for them, and no one has red-flagged it yet.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

This is a general remark for future readers -
Anything to do with music real or computer generated must be discussed with your project MC before using it . it's tricky and will only be considered when it can be considered a part of the text

Anne