Replace Mywords and DownThemAll on Firefox 57.0?

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Hey all,

My Firefox browser has updated itself to 57.0 and relabeled itself as Firefox Quantum. In so doing, it has disabled two of my favorite plug-ins as "no longer supported".

Any suggestions on replacing them?

Mywords - very helpful tool to past common blocks of text into forum posts.

DownThemAll - very helpful tool to download filies to my "ready to pl" folder with one click!

MaryAnn
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I did a little research earlier, and haven't found a good replacement for DTA. On his blog, he says he is trying to make a compatible version, but doesn't know how long it will take - and it might not happen because the new requirements don't give him the resources/info/control/whatever he needs to get it to work.

I don't allow automatic updates, so I'm not updating until there are viable alternatives for DTA and a couple other add-ons I use.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
carteki

Post by carteki »

It is possible to install an older version of Firefox. Do a Web search for the files - I can't remember the name of the site right now.
GrayHouse

Post by GrayHouse »

You could look beyond Add-ons for a MyWords replacement.
A more general program like Phrase Express could work. I think it's free for non-commercial use, though I've never used it.
AutoHotKey would also work. See this part of the help for more info.
Those would also have the advantage of working with other browsers, if you ever changed. And they're likely to be more resilient to future Firefox (and add-on) developer decisions.

-Ian
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

My FireFox did the same thing. It told me it can't use Grease Monkey any more, which was what I had my Gutenberg word count on. But, it showed me a link for Violent Monkey, which is, I guess, pretty much the same thing but is still compatible. I don't know if that would help you.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

I always used Firefox for the ability to use all the addons that now no longer are compatible. So I've mostly switched over to Chrome. I'm using Word Count Tool for word counting, and I found an addon called ProKeys to take the place of MyWords. I haven't looked for a downthemall replacement since I don't use that one all that often any more.
Jo