* FIXED* :-( Microphone does not work at all on new laptop

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
RosslynCarlyle

Post by RosslynCarlyle »

So, my old laptop broke down some time ago.
I can still use it but have it sat on a loud fan as the internal one has conked out, so this is no good for sound recording.

Now, on my nice new laptop, I have this exact problem -
http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-2955045/turtle-beach-x12-windows.html

I have owned my turtle beach x12 headset for a long while now and I used them hundreds of times on my previous laptop. My slightly older Vizio laptop with Windows 8 only had one 3.5mm port so I bought a y splitter to connect the headset to it. The splitter and the headset worked perfectly together on the Vizio. Unfortunately I had to get rid of that laptop and I now have a Dell inspiron with Windows 10. I went to go on Skype and I discovered that I could hear my boyfriend but he couldn't hear me. Nothing we have tried has gotten my mic to pic up sounds and I can't seem to find any solutions online. Any help will be greatly appreciated thank you!

Mine is an Acer Aspire laptop with Windows 10 and a new Y-splitter.
It won't detect the microphone. The headphones work perfectly but the microphone isn't being detected as far as I can see.
The Turtlebeach "help" mentioned in that link goes to a "not found" page.

This is why I have been so quiet for a long while.... :-(

I will ask Turtlebeach about it of course, but wondered if anybody here could help?
It would be good to get back recording again.

ETA: AFAIK this is the right type of Y-splitter right?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0007OC96W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And I just plug the two headphone plugs into it and stick it into the headphone socket?
There is really no other way things can be plugged in. :-p
Am I supposed to be doing something else with this?
Starting to get rather bummed out that I can't just get the thing to record. :-/
Last edited by RosslynCarlyle on November 6th, 2017, 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RosslynCarlyle

Post by RosslynCarlyle »

I am so done with this problem now omg.
Fished out my Turtlebeach PX22 headset.
It's an upgrade of my other one but it's just not the same... it's the other one which I used for all of my Librivox recordings so far and it's a good sound quality and I'm used to it. This one, however, doesn't need a Y-splitter.... which I didn't even notice until fishing it out just now.
So, it just plugs into the headphone socket and then assumedly is meant to just work. Except... it doesn't. The headphones do but not the microphone. I don't have any idea what the problem is. Am I meant to be getting some special driver for this thing??? Windows 8 just recognised it. :-p
RosslynCarlyle

Post by RosslynCarlyle »

Oh my gosh.... :clap: I followed these instructions and (touch wood) headset two appears to work.

This is how I did it...
https://support.turtlebeach.com/hc/en-us/articles/222411628-PX22-PC-Mac-Setup-Instructions

I had to do the instructions twice as they didn't work the first time... and the sound quality is imho not quite as nice as the previous version of this headset (sadly I think my much-loved X12 headset may be a lost cause) but.... it works! omg i really thought it wouldn't.
:thumbs:
I am going to leave this topic here because it might be helpful, I think loads of people have this same problem and this kind of headset seems to be a bit janky with Windows 10 from what I gather. But feel free to admin delete it if you think this is a chat topic which has made itself redundant. 8-)
Cori

Post by Cori »

Hooray for getting it working! :9:

And yes, good idea to leave this topic here -- you never know who'll need it (it'll pop up in Google/forum searches for this hardware combo, of course.)
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!