Places like Librivox for audio under creative commons?

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
DanMcAdam

Post by DanMcAdam »

No, I'm not too worried about my work being sold without my credit. Rather, I found an interesting story on Gutenberg I'd like to record http://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/17026/pg17026-images.html but unfortunately it's under a CC license. As I understand that means I can't submit it here. So is there a better place for it? It'd be a shame to record it and not have it be heard.
I welcome any constructive criticism!
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

You could upload the audio directly to archive.org.

And there is podiobooks, now under "scribl", check it out here: http://scribl.com/info/podiobooks-now-scribl
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

The license says on that page says
Attribution. The licensor permits others to copy, distribute,
display, and perform the work. In return, licensees must give the
original author credit.

No Derivative Works. The licensor permits others to copy, distribute, display and perform only unaltered copies of the work — not derivative works based on it.
and the explanation says
"Derivative Work" means a work based upon the Work or upon the Work and other pre-existing works, such as a translation, musical arrangement, dramatization, fictionalization, motion picture version, sound recording, art reproduction, abridgment, condensation, or any other form in which the Work may be recast, transformed, or adapted, except that a work that constitutes a Collective Work will not be considered a Derivative Work for the purpose of this License.
Anne
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Legamus is the European version of Librivox, and they allow readers to choose which licence to release work under - most people there use a form of CC licence, I think. You'd have to ask the admins there if this work is suitable though.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

That's true normally but in this case the author does clearly say - no audio .

Anne
DanMcAdam

Post by DanMcAdam »

annise wrote:The license says on that page says
Attribution. The licensor permits others to copy, distribute,
display, and perform the work. In return, licensees must give the
original author credit.

No Derivative Works. The licensor permits others to copy, distribute, display and perform only unaltered copies of the work — not derivative works based on it.
and the explanation says
"Derivative Work" means a work based upon the Work or upon the Work and other pre-existing works, such as a translation, musical arrangement, dramatization, fictionalization, motion picture version, sound recording, art reproduction, abridgment, condensation, or any other form in which the Work may be recast, transformed, or adapted, except that a work that constitutes a Collective Work will not be considered a Derivative Work for the purpose of this License.
Anne
Good catch annise! I read up to "and perform" and naturally assumed that included audio performance. How else would one perform a book?

Thanks for the help guys!
I welcome any constructive criticism!
Darvinia
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Darvinia »

DanMcAdam wrote:Good catch annise! I read up to "and perform" and naturally assumed that included audio performance. How else would one perform a book?

Thanks for the help guys!
Presumably by reading it aloud in front of a live audience without recording it at the same time.
Bev

There's nothing you can't prove if your outlook is only sufficiently limited. - Lord Peter Wimsey
I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam - Popeye, the sailor man
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice - Neil Peart