Audacity help needed

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Darklldo

Post by Darklldo »

Hi, I'm new to all this. I have downloaded 'Audacity' but when I open it I find this message:

Audacity can't be opened because the identity of the developer cannot be confirmed.
Your security preferences allow installation of only apps from the App store and identified
developers.

Apparently there is a question of whether it's safe.

Can anyone help me?

Please?

:(
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

If you want to run Audacity, change your security preferences. That's what the message says.

Your desire to run Audacity is at variance with your desire to have only Apple-approved software on your computer.

To record for LibriVox you don't need Audacity. It's only recommended because vast majority of LV readers use it. You can use any other software that would allow you to have the final recording in MP3 format, 44100 samples per second, mono, encoded at 128 kilobits per second constant bitrate.
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
Darklldo

Post by Darklldo »

Thank you tovarisch, I figured that was the problem, but I am totally new to all this and need some recommendations about what I could use instead - could you make some suggestions please?

darklldo
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

I have tried Ocenaudio, it's free, not sure if it's approved by Apple, though. I have also tried Reaper. I heard that many pros do that. It's not free, but it's not too expensive, either. And probably OK by Apple.

Apple has its own sound recording software (GarageBand), but we've seen many folks having problems trying to save mono MP3s with it. There Adobe Premiere (if I recall correctly), which should also suffice, but it's probably the most expensive of all I know. There is 'Studio One' from Presonus, but it's also not free if you want to do MP3...

Choices, choices...
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
Cori

Post by Cori »

I think Garageband would be good to try first, if you have it free already. :) We do have some active GB users around here who can help out. There's a page in our wiki with more info, including the issues other people have seen.

I wonder if it would be possible to save at a higher bitrate (or in stereo) and then use different software just to change the settings to what we need. Perhaps an online tool like http://online-audio-converter.com (this is the first hit I googled, not anything I'm recommending from personal experience.)
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
Darklldo

Post by Darklldo »

Thank you Torarisch and Cori :)

Cori I investigated Garage Band and found they have a new download, so have gone ahead with that. Thank you for suggesting it, I know nothing about recording on the computer so it is nice to have some advice.

Darklldo