dont know if i can do this!

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Jennifer61

Post by Jennifer61 »

hello? i am completely lost :? :help: i dont even know if my computer will take the software to record, heck i dont even know if my computer has a microphone.
im thinking that should be one of the first steps, right? Also i havent typed in a long time and cant seem to be able to figure out where the heck my apostrophe is on my laptop keyboard!! it isn"t in the right place i naturally want my fingers to go to. omg i;m so embarrassed. sorry.
i know i:P"?> m rambling . i havent been on the computer in a long time and i guess i need someone to hold my hand and walk me through this.
ok im gonna stop now and see if i can even get back here to see if there is a reply. in case i cant , my email is rubberpicker at yahoo dot com . you can email me the instructions on how to get back here to see any responses. thank you to any kind soul that will take pity on my technical inabilities.
i reallly want to do this.

Email address edited by admin - ck
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Hi jennifer, welcome to librivox!

Dont you worry, a lot of us are hardly computer literate, but the community tffies to help them along as best we can :)

I think phils videos might help you get started, they allow you to look over his shoulder a bit :)
http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Instructional_Videos

Please let us know if you need more help :) thank you!
Carolin
Jennifer61

Post by Jennifer61 »

thank you so much for replying to my post. can i add you as a friend as soon as i figure out how to?
yes i have been watching some of phils videos, however i have yet to find the ones i truly need right now.
does anyone know perchance, if one can review the material before reading it? and if so , how.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

We are all friends here - and we were all newbies once , and we all had different skills when we started and have different ones now
So you've learnt how to register
And log on
and post
and reply in the same thread
That's not a bad start
What's the next thing you want to learn to do ? Maybe tell us what you'd like to do now you've jumped those hurdles ?

Anne
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

hi jennifer, im glad you got back to read my reply :)

as anne said we are all friends here on librivox, so dont worry, there will always be someone to help you out if you need it! just let us know what you need and we can see how we can help you!
Carolin
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Jennifer61 wrote:thank you so much for replying to my post. can i add you as a friend as soon as i figure out how to?
yes i have been watching some of phils videos, however i have yet to find the ones i truly need right now.
does anyone know perchance, if one can review the material before reading it? and if so , how.
How to review material before reading it. Easy,... if you know how,eh? In the first post of any project there will be a link to the source material; just click on that link and read away as much or as little as you wish. If this does not answer your question just let us know. Here is a flower for being patient so far Image
Peruvian owls always hunt in pairs because they are inca hoots.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Yes yes yes! Pre-read!

One of my New Year's Resolutions the first year I was here was never to get caught by a reading with a sentence like this again: “Antisana and Cayambi are fashioned after Chimborazo, though the latter is table-topped rather than convex; Caraguairazo, Quirotoa, Iliniza, Sincholagua, Rumiñagui, and Corazon, resemble Altar; Tunguragua, Sangai, Llanganati, Cotocachí, Chiles, and Imbabura, imitate Cotopaxi; Pichincha, Atacatzo, and Guamani are irregular” (from "Andes and Amazon"). I had looked at the intros of the chapters I picked before volunteering and liked what I saw. (Obviously.) But then I was recording along and I get about halfway through the chapter and suddenly there is that sentence chockablock full of long names each having either too many or too few vowels and apparently some fondness for creative uses of the letter _X_. When I finally after a dozen tries got past the first name, I stumbled on the second. Try for a running start and I’d flub the first one again. I was not getting through this high altitude volcano chain any faster than the explorers did! I call this The Dreaded Sentence with Twenty Volcano Names (TDSWTVN) and it took WEEKS to get out correctly. (A smarter move would have been to return the section for someone else to read, but this became personal.) Hence my resolution to always check what I am going to read before I volunteer. (And it will not surprise you to hear that I have *sigh* broken that resolution several times since and always to my sorrow….)

So yes, feel free to read a section through before turning on the recorder! (And don't feel bad if you decide to return the section for someone else to read!)

Thanks, Todd
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

Todd, that whole sentence sounds like a blooper. :D
Jennifer, please have patience, there can be a learning curve here, but very rewarding once you learn basics. :wink:
Check out the Blooper thread, just proves everyone makes mistakes -- and then posts them. :lol:
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Oh no, there is no surviving recording of that sentence except what finally came out acceptable enough to be in the cataloged book. I left NO evidence of my blood, sweat, and tears! That sentence was obviously written with the foreknowledge that 100 years later someone would try to make an audio book out of it....

Thanks, Todd
Jennifer61

Post by Jennifer61 »

THANK YOU EVERYONE !!!! :D
I guess the next thing i need to learn is what and how to download whatever equipment i need to start recording my 1 min. test. i will look for it again as i did not see it at first in the forum.
Again, thank you all for your support and by the way, you guys are funny too. That alone gives me a lot of comfort and joy. :thumbs:
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

The information you got in your welcome email is also available in the guides for Listeners and volunteers.
All you need to start is a microphone and some recording software and the desire. :D

Anne