Microphone not working anymore!!!

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
boatharbor

Post by boatharbor »

:help: :help: :help:
Basically, my combo headphone/microphone is only recognizing the headphone and not microphone- it wants to use the microphone built in to the computer. I've gone into sound settings, microphone settings, etc. I think what happened was, the last time I gave a presentation and plugged a cord from my analog jack to a tv, a window popped up and I said audio out only, thereby changing the combo analog jack to output only. It seemed like something under PowerPoint, because the frame didn't look anything like the general settings, but I was kind of flustered trying to start on time and I really didn't look over it well enough to relocate it. I've gone under powerpoint again and can't find anything there either.

What's really confusing me, is the headphones aren't showing up either, when I'm in the sound settings, but they work fine. :hmm:

Yes, I've checked my default settings vs. other options, and also have "show disabled devices" and "show disconnected devices" checked off in the Sound > Recording settings.

I have Windows 10 and am using an iPhone headset. Thank you so much for your help!
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

boatharbor wrote:Basically, my combo headphone/microphone is only recognizing the headphone and not microphone- it wants to use the microphone built in to the computer.
What software are you talking about? Audacity? Plug in your combo, then start Audacity, then press Ctrl+P and go to Devices. Does your combo show in the drop-down lists?

Presuming it's not...

You need to narrow down the cause of the malfunction.

Your jack can have been damaged (inside the computer). To prove it still works with a microphone, use another (functional) combo.

The connection between the microphone and the jack contact (on your combo) can have been compromised by fraying of the cord. To prove the combo is still OK, use it elsewhere.

Once you prove that the computer jack is OK and that your combo is OK, then turn your attention to the settings. Somewhere there is a setting to "allow programs to take exclusive control" of a DirectX device (sound included). If it's on, and your Powerpoint is running, the device may not be available to other programs (I do doubt that, but who knows), so do check that part too.
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please