Recording a collection NOT already a book?

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
thowe

Post by thowe »

Hello, all! I am interested in recording a collection of poems by frequently-taught-in-the-college-classroom 17th and 18th century women writers. All of the poems are in the public domain, but there are no collections of such poems in the public domain. How can I create a collection that is not already a book? That is, I want to "create my own" collection? Is this a thing?

Thanks for your help and advice!
Tonya
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Provided that you can identify PD electronic sources for all sections (to help PLing the recordings), there is nothing that would stop you from publishing a compilation. We have plenty of collections in the catalog.
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
thowe

Post by thowe »

Great, thanks! Is there a good link you'd recommend for how to go about setting up a compilation? Would this use the same steps for a single book?

-Tonya
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Well, if you're going to do it solo, there is a sticky in our launchpad forum. I recommend doing the 1-minute test first, then reading through at least some of our Wiki pages. Before embarking on a solo our new members are encouraged to take part in a group project (or several) to learn/get familiar with how things are usually done.
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

And yes , it does use the same setup as a solo. But there are things you need to decide about it beforehand.
How about getting your 1 minute test done , reading a poem in a collection already open and then asking - an explanation of the options will make more sense then than it will now because you will have some idea what we are talking about.

Anne
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I see from your introductory post it's a class project.. The one that I know about that did work (almost) is here viewtopic.php?f=16&t=42709&p=801320&hilit=aspects+war#p801320 if you care to look (the almost was because the semester ended before it was complete and in the end I catalogued it as a selection)
In that case the lecturer joined , recorded something , then teed up with their IT people to record and submit the students recordings. The readers did not join , it was all done under "Clark University" and catalogued here https://librivox.org/selections-from-battle-pieces-and-aspects-of-the-war-by-herman-melville/

Anne
thowe

Post by thowe »

Thank you so much, Annise! This is great advice, and just what I was wondering about. I'll do the sample recording and begin getting a hang of it all!