LibriVox
Forums

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently October 21st, 2017, 1:43 am

Post Posted:: August 18th, 2017, 6:05 am 

Hello, all! I am interested in recording a collection of poems by frequently-taught-in-the-college-classroom 17th and 18th century women writers. All of the poems are in the public domain, but there are no collections of such poems in the public domain. How can I create a collection that is not already a book? That is, I want to "create my own" collection? Is this a thing?

Thanks for your help and advice!
Tonya

Post Posted:: August 18th, 2017, 8:02 am 

Provided that you can identify PD electronic sources for all sections (to help PLing the recordings), there is nothing that would stop you from publishing a compilation. We have plenty of collections in the catalog.

Post Posted:: August 18th, 2017, 8:22 am 

Great, thanks! Is there a good link you'd recommend for how to go about setting up a compilation? Would this use the same steps for a single book?

-Tonya

Post Posted:: August 18th, 2017, 9:05 am 

Well, if you're going to do it solo, there is a sticky in our launchpad forum. I recommend doing the 1-minute test first, then reading through at least some of our Wiki pages. Before embarking on a solo our new members are encouraged to take part in a group project (or several) to learn/get familiar with how things are usually done.

Post Posted:: August 18th, 2017, 4:49 pm 
LibriVox Admin Team

And yes , it does use the same setup as a solo. But there are things you need to decide about it beforehand.
How about getting your 1 minute test done , reading a poem in a collection already open and then asking - an explanation of the options will make more sense then than it will now because you will have some idea what we are talking about.

Anne

Post Posted:: August 18th, 2017, 6:26 pm 
LibriVox Admin Team

I see from your introductory post it's a class project.. The one that I know about that did work (almost) is here viewtopic.php?f=16&t=42709&p=801320&hilit=aspects+war#p801320 if you care to look (the almost was because the semester ended before it was complete and in the end I catalogued it as a selection)
In that case the lecturer joined , recorded something , then teed up with their IT people to record and submit the students recordings. The readers did not join , it was all done under "Clark University" and catalogued here https://librivox.org/selections-from-battle-pieces-and-aspects-of-the-war-by-herman-melville/

Anne

Post Posted:: September 7th, 2017, 12:02 pm 

Thank you so much, Annise! This is great advice, and just what I was wondering about. I'll do the sample recording and begin getting a hang of it all!