How do I convert pdf files to something that I can mark-up?

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Sciguyvoice

Post by Sciguyvoice »

I like to mark-up my book chapters with notes before doing the recording. However, in cases where the pdf is the entire book, I am not able to convert the entire book pdf to a Word document. So I was wondering if anyone has found an economical solution for converting a book chapter from a large book pdf to a form that is editable.

Thanks,

Warren
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

I am using Nitro Pro (a trial version, came with my computer) and I can markup pdfs with yellow markers, sticky notes, strikethroughs... I am not using it for LV projects, but smaller projects at work are fine with it.

It's not as powerful as Word for these sort of things of course, since it is meant as a reader mainly.
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Which PDF reader do you use? Some PDFs are editable (to a degree) in the free version of Adobe Acrobat -- you can add comments, highlights, and strikethroughs but can't change the actual text. I have had luck with Foxit Reader for a few documents that I couldn't add notes to with Acrobat. Also, my version of MS Word (Word 2016 via Office 365) will open PDFs as Word docs, but the formatting can be odd. It might be OK for your purpose, though.

PDF to Word online converters exist, but I don't have experience with them.
Laurie Anne
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

You can mark up pdfs in the iAnnotate app. Many professional narrators use it.
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page
TomU

Post by TomU »

HI Warren
Can you do it chapter by chapter?

I used this <https://smallpdf.com/split-pdf> to split up a book, because I only needed one chapter. I think it will also convert it to Word.

Hope it works
TomU
Sciguyvoice wrote:I like to mark-up my book chapters with notes before doing the recording. However, in cases where the pdf is the entire book, I am not able to convert the entire book pdf to a Word document. So I was wondering if anyone has found an economical solution for converting a book chapter from a large book pdf to a form that is editable.

Thanks,

Warren
Sciguyvoice

Post by Sciguyvoice »

Great suggestions, everyone. I will check them out.

Thanks,

Warren