Prefaces

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
bluechien

Post by bluechien »

I was just curious, as a reader of a solo, how likely are you to record the preface, and as a listener, are you prone to listening or skipping them? Authors obviously enjoy the privilege of writing them but I am not sure how much people enjoy hearing them, or if people just want to get on to the content.
Eva D
If we do meet again, why, we shall smile;
If not, why then, this parting was well made.
DACSoft

Post by DACSoft »

As a reader I read them, as a soloist I record them, and as a listener I listen to them. Often the Preface or Introduction or similar front matter contains key background information or "color commentary" that enhances the understanding or experience of the main content. So I think it's useful to include it.

Just one man's opinion. :)

Don
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I often (but not always) find prefaces very interesting. When I read books on my own time, I usually read them, unless they ramble on and on for 20 pages. When I record or BC, I make the judgement whether or not to record them depending on whether I think they're interesting and how long they are. As a listener, I probably would listen if it wasn't longer than, say, 20 minutes.
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

As a reader/BC I record them or ask for them to be recorded - but as I listener I rarely listen to them and if I do it is often after listening to the rest of the book!

For this reason, regardless of length, I usually put the Preface in a separate file (Section 0 or 00 ) so the listener can skip it if they want and go straight to "Chapter 1" conveniently if they choose to do so.

With a Dramatic Reading I do the same thing with all the "administrative" bits - so the Cast List, the Preface/Introduction/Dedication, etc I put all in Section 0 (especially with children's books) so that it is all there for those who choose to partake, but if desired it is easy to click on Chapter 1 and go straight to the start of the action!

If you click on the red link to "Phoenix/Carpet" in my signature panel you will see that I've done it this way for that one too.
bluechien

Post by bluechien »

This is extremely useful :thumbs:

I wasn't sure if recording the preface was just sort of a vanity exercise. I sort of like it, usually, because it brings me closer to the author's motives for writing or editing the book, yet I don't often listen to them, but I can easily see how someone with more patience might.

thank you so much!
Eva D
If we do meet again, why, we shall smile;
If not, why then, this parting was well made.
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

As a narrator, I always record them. They are part of the unabridged text.
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Like most LV, it's "horses for courses". If the author wrote it , I think it should be read, if it's "Fred Smith's Grimm's tales for Tiny Tots" , probably not , if it's a translation and the forward is by the translator probably yes, and if it's by some pompous twit who is totally forgotten all about giving his views on the content I leave it out :mrgreen:

Anne