Noise cleaning on Adobe Premier Pro?

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Hey, all. I am BC for a book that turned into a solo, and my soloist is still new to us here at LibriVox. :) I'm asking for some tech support.

The book is almost ready for cataloging, but he has a lot of background noise in his files and neither he, nor our MC, nor myself, knows how to fix this in Adobe Premier Pro, which he is using to record. If anyone has any pointers, we'd all appreciate the input. Here is the project thread, where you may hear the kind of noise we're dealing with: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=65461

Thanks in advance!
WillNuessle

Post by WillNuessle »

Many thanks to Devorah for posting this – but I just this morning discovered the wonders of audacity and so will not be trying to edit my librivox files in Premiere anymore ?

Will the Recalcitrant
"The man who does not read books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them." -Mark Twain
SkyRider

Post by SkyRider »

Although the original issue has now been sorted I thought I'd post a quick answer to this in case anyone happens upon this by searching.

The Adobe model is to encourage people to use the appropriate software for the job; most people will have the full Creative Cloud as that seems to be the only way to get Premiere now so if you have it you should also have access to Audition which is the 'proper' audio editor for the suite. Premiere is capable of sending your audio track to Audition, allowing you to edit it there and bringing it back.

That said, an audio noise reduction module has been added in the CC2017 edition of Premiere (the stuff marked 'noise reduction; in previous editions referred purely to visual noise). You'll find it under Audio Filters in special effects as Adaptive Noise Reduction. Drag this onto your audio track. You can tweak the parameters if you like but the defaults aren't bad. The downside is it takes about five seconds to adapt to the noise pattern of your audio so you'll need to leave that much blank at the start. As the filter is a 'live' one you can't apply the noise reduction then chop the start down to the LibriVox standard 0.5-1 second - you'll need to do that after exporting the audio file.

To be honest, you're probably still better off using Audacity than Audition, at least for LibriVox purposes. The Adobe product is a lot more powerful and the 'magic brush' is a lot easier for removing clicks but there's a shared expertise in Audacity on these boards and, in particular, the ReplayGain and DeClicker Nyquist plug-ins are Audacity specific.

Cheers,
Paul
WillNuessle

Post by WillNuessle »

Thanks, Paul! My particular Adobe software is about six years old and audacity is 100 times easier to take the particular problem to task. But that was a very thoughtful post which might be useful to somebody…
"The man who does not read books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them." -Mark Twain