How position computer & mic

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
vpelton

Post by vpelton »

How position computer & mic

I've read tons of your wonderful how-to pages, but still have questions. First off, I didn't find this anyplace, but when I read a book, will it be a digital book & thus I'll read it from the computer? I assume this is the case, but just wanted to make sure.

Next, one place said to make sure you don't get computer fan noise, to put the computer as far away as possible. But then how to you read a book from the computer if it's under a couch cushion? Oh I see, maybe not everyone uses a laptop like I do. If you have a separate monitor, I guess that wouldn't be an issue. With my laptop, I guess I'm just stuck with the fan noise, unless others have suggestions.

Now, where to place the mic? One place said to put it a bit higher than your mouth. Seems that would block the computer display.

I have an external mic with a table top stand. Should I get out the phone books to make it as high as my head? Also phone books to lift up my laptop? It all seems a bit awkward. I didn't see any help pages talking about this. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks to everyone.
My setup: Audacity, Windows 10, USB mic
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

There is a channel on Youtube called "booth junkie" - contains plenty of good advice. Also search other "voice over" or "audio book narration" videos and see if you can extract something useful from those.

To answer your particular questions,

a. You don't have to read from the computer. Many of us do, but some actually print out the copy or use a tablet. You can even use a published book, provided the text is also available on the web so proof-listeners can get to it.

b. Place the microphone so that it does not block your view of the copy and also that it's not directly in front of you (plosives!). Distance of up to 8 inches should be OK.

c. Experiment. Do what you find working best for you. I started with a small mic sitting on a box and a piece of open cell foam, but it was lower than my mouth. Right now I record with a mic sitting at the same level as my mouth, off to the side (so not to block the screen, and I read from the computer).

Don't fret about the setup. Do it in a way so you can change it easily, and you will not be constrained by your initial choices.
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
vpelton

Post by vpelton »

Thanks for all your advice. I will be sure to look at those YouTube channels.
My setup: Audacity, Windows 10, USB mic