Copyright location inquiry

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Dbrstitch

Post by Dbrstitch »

Greetings to all those in-the-know (and any others interested)

I am attempting to launch a novel however the copyright date is not available by being printed in the book in Gutenberg, etc. It is a first in a series of novels, the second and remainders do have their dates printed. In the Wiki description of the author, Margaret Vandercook, the novel in question is listed as first and has a publication date listed as 1916. Is it acceptable to use this as proof, and if not, what is the next step to be pursued?

Thanking you in advance for your attention to this matter.
Debbie

"There is nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

For LV, the proof we need is in the "bibrec" tab of the Gutenberg project. (Not the text itself, but the page that shows the information about the book, the file formats available, etc.)

In the "bibrec" tab, there's a line that says "Copyright Status". If it has "Public domain in the USA" then it's OK to record for LV.
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

And, if you click on the link in the author's name, you will go to the page that shows her works. There is a link to her wikipedia page, where there is a list of her works with their copyright dates. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret_Vandercook
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
Dbrstitch

Post by Dbrstitch »

This is the issue. Red Cross Girls in the British Trenches is not available through Gutenberg or Hathitrust. The singular digital volume I have been able to locate is in archive.org and it does not have a publication date on ANY OF THE SCANNED PAGES (the reason why I asked about proof required). Yes, I had previously found Vandercook's page with her lists of books and the publication dates stated next to the names. That's why I inquired about "proof" required.

Through Amazon I have actually ordered the hard copy just to verify any information.

On the archive.org page it did say that it was published in 1916. (Is this the bibrec page?)
"Possible copyright status The Library of Congress is unaware of any copyright restrictions on this item."

As a newbie I am just "doing my best" (that's for you icequeen) to get everything straight before moving forward with anything that might be questionable.

Many thanks for your patience and tutelage.

d
Debbie

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

trouble with Archive is that anyone can upload anything and say anything about it - i could upload a scan of Harry Potter and say it was PD. In that case someone would complain and archive would take it down but with more obscure books it's less likely that a complaint would be made as it's less likely to be noticed. Saying a book was published in 1916 is not the same as saying the scanned copy was the same text

Anne
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Since the online text at archive.org comes from the Library of Congress, and the accompanying full catalog record and linked local record in Open Library both show the same information for the publisher and copyright date as is shown on the IA page, IMO we can accept this as proof of the copyright status of this online scan.

https://catalog.loc.gov/vwebv/search?searchCode=LCCN&searchArg=16010721&searchType=1&permalink=y
Jo
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

On the archive.org page it did say that it was published in 1916. (Is this the bibrec page?)
No, sorry. In your original post you talked about Gutenberg, not Archive. The "Bibrec" tab is on the Gutenberg site, nowhere else. :)
Dbrstitch

Post by Dbrstitch »

Greetings all.

Upon returning from vacation, the above forementioned novel was awaiting me in hardcopy. Not only do I now have the picture of the cover, but also the copyright date page across from the Contents page. What is acceptable to scan and add, or would I send it to the MC of the book to add? I know that I have a full novel to record before getting to this one, however I would like to learn as issues arise.

Thanks so much.
Debbie

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

The minimum we require is a scan/photo of the title page and publication date of the copy you are going to read.
If you fancy the cover being used as coverart we would need a image probably (sometimes the covers are available on the net)

If like the reader of the Betty Baird series you would like it to be available for all as a text. you can scan/photo it and upload to Archive as a pdf (as the Betty Baird reader did). We would also need this if you wanted it as a collabarative
Think that's all
Anne