Hello! I am new in audiobook record world

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
doguibnu

Post by doguibnu »

Hello Friends
How are you?

I am from Brazil and recently did know Librivox looking for audiobooks services in my android. I did read how it works to do the first record as volunteer in solo mode or in chapters. Sincerely I am a little confuse to start and need help.

- Right, I have Audacity and Lame for mp3 (Linux Mint SO), Microphone (not usb but I want buy one).
- I was at section Readers Wanted: Languages other than English. - I do not see Brazilian Portuguese to try start.
- Please How can have help with Admins / book cordinator or moderator to start.
- There are many Brazilian public domain to download and record.

Thank you for attention and help and sorry my poor English

Douglas G. Oechsler
Douglas G. Oechsler
fb.com/douglas.g.oechsler
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

Welcome Douglas!

I write in English because, unfortunately, I don't know Portugese.

I understand that you are a little bit confused. Here is my advice of what to do:

1) Please do a 1 minute test. You can make one with the equipment you have now. Maybe the microphone is fine. There is information about it in your welcome email or here.

2) Claim and record a few sections in a group project. You can for instance find a few short stories or poems in Portugese and submit them to the Multilingual Short Works Collection viewtopic.php?f=60&t=65168. There are no projects right now in Portugese, but this multilingual collection would be very happy to have some portugese recordings!

3) Once you have a feeling for how LibriVox works, you can launch a project in Portugese. At that time, an Admin will be your MC (meta coordinator) and help in that project.

4) One place to find Portugese texts that are in the Public Domain is gutenberg.org https://www.gutenberg.org/browse/languages/pt. I am sure there are other places, too :)

Hope that helps!

PS! You should remove your email address from your signature line so it is not harvested :)
Kathrine
doguibnu

Post by doguibnu »

Hello Kathrinee
How are you?

Thanks for answer me and your help.
Do books need only published before 1923 or be public domain?
Here there are many books in public domain after 1923

I get how librivox works :)
I will to try one

Thank you

Douglas
Douglas G. Oechsler
plaidsicle

Post by plaidsicle »

LibriVox needs to follow US copyright law, so the 1923 date is what we usually go by. there are a few texts from after 1923 that are in the public domain, but we usually let Project Gutenberg figure that out for us. it can be complicated.

I hope you find a good project to join and get to start your own projects soon too!
my brother-in-law speaks some Brazilian Portuguese-- I should get him to join LV and read.
'whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong.' -Oscar Wilde
plaidsicle.blogspot.com
doguibnu

Post by doguibnu »

Hello

I think that I found 2 books - " O homem invisível (the invisible man) from H.G Wells" and one Brazilian book: "A carne (in free English translation: The Meat) from Júlio Ribeiro.

Nice to know your brother-in-law speaks some Brazilian Portguese :)

Right I need to organize myself

Thank you!
Douglas G. Oechsler
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

re Brazilian Portugese - we catalogue them all under Portugese, just as we catalogue all varieties of English under English and all Spanish under Spanish and Austrian under German, etc. :D . So there are quite a few Portugese books in the catalogue read by Brazilians

Anne