Initial silence in recordings

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

A couple of times, I've seen readers asked by their proof-listener to increase the initial silence in their readings to 0.5-1 second. I think this comes from a slight mis-reading of the advice in the project page:
No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
As it's phrased, anything from 0 to 1 second is allowed. If I'm right, could this be changed in the template? In the early LV days, we were simply trying to avoid too long a silence at the start. (The extended silence at the end has another function, as we found that some mp3 players end their playback a few seconds before the end of the file.)

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

If I'm not mistaken, we have that on a list of things to change on the template, but we haven't gotten access to it yet to change them.

(By the way, I've found that my player does sometimes cut off the beginning of the recording, so having a half second of silence at the start is good for me. ;))
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

I didn't realise that players would cut off the start of our recordings. "Between a half-second to one-second" would fit, then.
Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

I always add a half-second to the front of my recordings. I think it starts too abruptly otherwise. I don't request it as a DPL though.