help with volume consistency

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
StarFire

Post by StarFire »

this was posted in the New Here Forums (Link here viewtopic.php?f=17&t=39890&start=45).
I am having an issue with my recording on audacity. My recording starts out low and then gets louder. I have Logitech 540 headset with microphone. I have disabled the audio enhancements on my computer. i have setup my audacity to the specs on the LibriVox wiki page. Please help me.

Thank you
Amie
--Winter

"I know nothing with any certainty,
but the sight of the stars makes me dream"
- Van Goph
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Amie,

If you're reading this, then one advice: any time you need help with audio, do submit a sample that demonstrates what you're talking about. An issue with recording like the one you described still allows you to record something, so a sample would help us understand your problem.

Speaking generally, how consistent is your voice? How consistent is the distance between your mouth and the microphone? Of course, a sample recording would tell us what the levels are and how long it takes for the recording to get louder... But you can still try to describe in terms of seconds and decibels...
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
lurcherlover

Post by lurcherlover »

It sounds possible that the mic on the headset may be the problem. It will almost certainly be an "electret" mic and maybe the fixed charge is unreliable. Electret mic's are very good, and can be expensive, but the cheaper ones may not be so good.

If your recordings start low and then get louder, then you may have to decrease the gain as you progress. The other thing to try is to set up with everything turned on, and give it all 15-20 minutes to warm up before starting a recording.

Hope this helps.